Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need 302 Help ASAP!!

Hey guys,

I am having major problems with my 302!:(

I drove it home and it ran PERFECT, but when i started it back up 15 minutes later it ran like absolute crap!:headbang: It was backfiring like crazy when i revved it, and when going down the road it has absolutely no power, and would backfire while it was in overdrive...when it could could stay in overdrive that is.:hammer:

Could it be the timing?

I need answers ASAP!!

Thanks Y'all!

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
how many miles on the motor.. and yes it could be the timing.. get a timing light chek it.. maybe your timing gear is soo worn that it jumped a tooth??

does it idle rought? black smoke?

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Check your rotor and distributor caps!!!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I agree with these guys...but go with the cheap stuff first, inspect the cap and rotor, possible bent dizzy shaft...pull the plugs, that may give you a little more insight on what's going on. But my bet is that you jumped time.

Last edited:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I pulled the plugs, and the were clean. Doesnt idle rough and there isnt any smoke.

Yes, the rotor it bad...tomorrow im gonna get a new cap and rotor.

But i also came to the conclusion that it may be a bad catalytic conv. What do you think about that?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I think my dad's truck did the same thing awhile back,not sayin it's what's wrong with yours,but my dad had to replace his timing gears and chain.A couple of the teeth had broken off.

I hope it's somethin simple Cody.Replacing Timing Gears ain't fun at all.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
I pulled the plugs, and the were clean. Doesnt idle rough and there isnt any smoke.

Yes, the rotor it bad...tomorrow im gonna get a new cap and rotor.

But i also came to the conclusion that it may be a bad catalytic conv. What do you think about that?

a bad cat conv.. is just as something is plugging your exhaust so no power it wont cuase a rough what you described

why haven't you remove it yet?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My guess is the cap and rotor will fix it if you say the plugs are good...and not timing...most of the time when I've dealt with jumped time, it trashes the plugs (rich) in a matter of a few miles.

I think my dad's truck did the same thing awhile back,not sayin it's what's wrong with yours,but my dad had to replace his timing gears and chain.A couple of the teeth had broken off.

I hope it's somethin simple Cody.Replacing Timing Gears ain't fun at all.

I sure hope so too, man! Hey, how much are timing chains?

a bad cat conv.. is just as something is plugging your exhaust so no power it wont cuase a rough what you described

why haven't you remove it yet?

But the cat could be the reason for no power...

I will tomorrow probably!!!:beer:

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
No its mostly the labor that makes people not want to do em. Whe ya do it ya probly oughta change the coolant if its not too old otherwise drain it into a five gallon bucket and strain it with a rag over a funnel.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oh hell, that aint bad at all!

Naw...but it takes a while to dig in that deep...probably about 6 hours of labor...and make sure to have a pulley puller for the balancer, about a 15/16 deep socket for the crank bolt, and something to wedge against the crank pulleys so it doesn't spin when pulling said bolt.

Check your distributor shaft for a wobble in the spin.

The bushings wear out and then misfiring happens.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The catalytic converter has two meshed screens inside along with charcoal.

The rear meshed screen rusts out, charcoal gets into the muffler, the vehicle then sounds like a vacuum cleaner running down the road.

Another cause is using leaded gas, over time, this dis-solves the charcoal plugging up the muffler....then you get the same vacuum cleaner effect.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts