Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oooo Noooo!!

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
So i went out and bought the code reader (cuz im too lazy to count blinking lights LOL:) ) and evey code i got had nothing to do with the trans...:headbang:

158 c
542 c

.....thoes were the codes i got??

**BTW michael my check engine light and ABS light are mixxed up lol........... so when I told you my ABS light was flashing it was really my check engine light!!**

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
when i burnt through my transmission it was just fine and didnt smell burnt watsoever...

i ended up putting brake fluid in it and making it last another month and a half and then dropping a 350 dollar junkyard tranny in it. ive put a good 6-10k miles on it since ive dropped it in. the torque converter is crapping out now.

Now that i think about it, check into your torque converter. what are they now adays about 190 something.

I figure Brian had the right idea; Move this so the techs will see it.

Ya'll play nice in here, now...

blacksnapon

Staff member
You have to remember with todays electronic components, what might seem to be unrelated, will be very important. 158 (maf above max voltage) 542 fuel pump circuit open, pcm to monitor ground). Both are related to load which is a major factor for your pcm to calibrate shifts, and line pressures.

So, what you are saying, vince, is that even a 91 trans is PCM controlled?

blacksnapon

Staff member
So, what you are saying, vince, is that even a 91 trans is PCM controlled?
Essentially, the modulator valve took vacuum readings to judge how much load there was, now that they're gone, the trans still needs a benchmark of where to start and how to judge throttle request (upshifts and downshifts). For this it uses the MAF, TPS, and the fuel pressure (or lack thereof) is naturally going to affect the way you drive the vehicle. It gets the information from the pcm.

Essentially, the modulator valve took vacuum readings to judge how much load there was, now that they're gone, the trans still needs a benchmark of where to start and how to judge throttle request (upshifts and downshifts). For this it uses the MAF, TPS, and the fuel pressure (or lack thereof) is naturally going to affect the way you drive the vehicle. It gets the information from the pcm.

158c code = MAF sensor HIGH VOLTAGE reading

542c code = Fuel Pump Circuit open

Sounds like a couple places to start!

Thanks vince.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
MY TRUCK IS *NOT* A 91!!!........ its a 94!!!!

I am not trying to mean with this statement but I thought this was supposed to be a certifed tech area.....and they can't even tell that my truck is a gen 9??? hmmmmmm makes me wonder

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
MY TRUCK IS *NOT* A 91!!!........ its a 94!!!!

I am not trying to mean with this statement but I thought this was supposed to be a certifed tech area.....and they can't even tell that my truck is a gen 9??? hmmmmmm makes me wonder
The codes ARE from a 94 pced. The diagnostics given ARE for a 94.No certified techs made the insinuation that your truck was a 91, that is very clear, HMMMMMM makes me wonder...........

Last edited:
That was my typo and I didn't even notice it. Sorry about that. Maybe it was subliminal, with your username in my face as I typed.

and I'm just a moderator... I am not a certified tech. Certifiable, but that is a looney thing. I'm sorry, to you too, vince. I wasn't trying to impersonate one. I was just trying to ask questions for you to get to the meat of it.

He is right... the codes are from a 94, and that is what I looked up. just typed it wrong I guess.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts