Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

E4Od mess..

SrgntBronco

91 FSB 5.0-5.8L E4OD
I have this 91 bronco that when I got last week it was just supposed to be a quick repair.. IM learning now..:O(
this transmission is a hell of a mess.. the vehicle id says it came w a 5.0l and a E4OD.. well this thing will not shift normal.. it will go trough the gears manually but when in drive it has high RPMS before the first shift and then it goes right into OD even w switch OD off or even disconnected.. it wa missing part of the harness that went to the transfer case VSS..I found one & plugged it in but still no good.. I replaced both connectors on trans.. also checked the fps.. i believe trans is good since it goes trough the gears.. can't figure out how it goes into OD when switch is disconnected.?
I was wondering if it could have the wrong gear selector switch.. all pictures I see on the net shows the trans selector to be a cable one.. mine is linked.. and also all the ones i see have the mpls to be pulling from top.. could that MPLS be the wrong one.. I see a lot of them that plug from the side.. mine plugs from the top.. I also don't see a PSOM my gages have a white long 6-7 wire female plug that looks like is coming from speedo.. but the only thing I can see that would plug into it is the same connector.. so I have 2 female long white plugs that one has a shorting cap that goes to harness the other is unplugged n like I said the are both female ends..?? what do I need to do to get this thing to shift normally… if I change the harness to a 5.8l will I have to exchange speedo too.. will the harness on it now work w speedo or do I need to get all that too??.. I want this truck to work out for me.. but I'm about to stick some dynamite to it soonhttp://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/headbang.gif
please help..!!!!!

OK A E4OD will shift on its own. it does not been to be plug in to shift. And that sounds like what its doing.
First thing you need to do is see if the Plug going to the solenoid pack has 12V power to it. 2 should have 12V and one should have 5V. thats first,

As for the MPLS. there were a lot of driffrent one made. the one with the plug on the top is the right one for a E4OD. the one that come out the side are for the AODE and the 4R70 and 75.

The Computer for the engine runs the trans as well. So make sure the computer in the truck is for a V8 with a E4OD. As for the speedo. If the computer can not see the VSS it will never shift right.
Really doesnt matter if the speedo work on the dash or not. the VSS wires should will be a twisted pair every were they go. should come from the sensor up the frame. to the small bulkhead wiring plug. come in the cab. do a Y one to the dash one to the Big bulkhead wiring plug and back out of the cab to the engine comparment. and Y again one to the Cruse control and to the Computer.
Hope this help.

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
On a 1991, I think the vehicle speed sensor is on the transmission case, but on newer models it uses a sensor on the rear differential.

Ryan

Its really a 50/50 chance of where it is. I have a 91 F150 here with a 8.8 2WD and a 351 with a E4OD and its on the rear. And Ive seen it in the trans. And Ive seen them have it on both the rear and the trans. one for the rear ABS and one for the speedo. Who know on them years trucks.

On my '91 the VSS is between the transfercase and the speedo cable right next to the rear driveshaft output.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
My 91 F350 the speedo is manual vs electronic. So the cable goes to the tcase. I think the 92+ are in the diff. You may want to bring it to a good trans shop to have it sorted out.

My 92 f350 was doing the same thing it turned out to be just a fuse in the box in the cab check those and replace any blown ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 92 f350 was doing the same thing it turned out to be just a fuse in the box in the cab check those and replace any blown ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a good one. forgot about that. Lightnings would do that as well. but when that fuse when out the speedo would die as well.

Oh and look in the plug of the trans. My 95 PSD started doing this. and the pins in the plug were all green and rutted it away. and i ended it up haveing to replace the valve pack. and the piece of wiring.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts