Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hello Gen 11.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
At least you are indoors and out of the snow!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
woah. What the truck doing. Does it have no compression?? the 5.4 in your truck is A steel Block Only 5.4 aluminum blocks Are in Ford GT super cars. And GT500 only.

Only the later GT500's..2011 and up.

Ok. I'm an idiot.
Forgot to take the washer off.
Upon removing said washer the pulley came right off like it's supposed to.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Oh man...that's gotta suck!

Since the rockers were already off number 3 and 4 I pulled the lash adjusters and No.4 is stuck. So it looks like I've found a starting point at least. Gotta run and try to find an adapter for my compression gauge. Only one I have is for an 90's Jeep and threads don't match.

Turns out the thread is a 16mm. My gauge has 12, 14, and 18mm. The two parts stores do not have a 16mm. Stopped by liquor store, got a bottle of Jack and calling it a night.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It's always like that with the parts stores..:headbang:

Well...This is kinda disappointing. Three of the caps that hold the cam down on right side are cracked in half. The journals on the cam are scored real bad. Out of the 12 lash adjusters only two will move freely.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Even if the heads are trashed, you might be able to get away with rebuilding the heads and leaving the block & bottom end alone?

Ryan

Yeah that's still an option. Only thing is that price is creeping up there. And then I'd have a new top end and old bottom. May be better to have a remaned where everything is done and start fresh. Got some research to do. Figure out which direction to go.

Well...This is kinda disappointing. Three of the caps that hold the cam down on right side are cracked in half. The journals on the cam are scored real bad. Out of the 12 lash adjusters only two will move freely.

Well I would most likely say the cap bridges Are cracked because some one try to put it on and didnt know what they were doing. Or tryed to bolt them on with the lifters and the Camshaft Followers in place under the cam.

As for the scoring. It could of been from that. Or more likely it was from the wrong oil. to thick of a oil or did a oil change every 10000 mile.
You cant just get some caps from a engine and put it on there. there a match to the heads when that make them. Your really going to have a really good head guy do them all over or just buy a reman head, A reman head from rockauto for that truck is 400 + 150 core.

But being the head is scored. I would look at the other head as well.
Other thing is your going to have the timing tool that goes on the carnk to time it right. OTC make a good one. and the timing marks on the chains is most likely not there any more as well. the chain has a black mark on 2 of the links on the chain to line up with the dots on chains,

Ended up ordering a crate motor. Should be here tomorrow. Decided against a used or remaned.

Starting to take everything apart getting ready to pull the motor. As the oil is draining out I take a look at it a few minutes later and WOW! I scramble to get my other drain pan. The one I'm using holds about 10 - 12 quarts and it's ready to overflow. And the consistency of the oil is not uniform. Light and dark patches that are not mixed together. By the condition of the motor I'm surprised the rest of the truck is in decent condition. Although I'm hoping they didn't touch the transmission.

Got the motor pulled last week. Not alot of room to work but i got it done.

Gained about two inches with the cowl removed.
02-14-14_003.jpg

Left the radiator in. Have the disconnect tools but couldnt get the lines removed.
02-14-14_004.jpg

Some thing else i didnt think about. with the arm extended all the way out at full height it hit my garage door. the pan needed about three inches more to clear the core support. Remove front tires and lower it onto small jack stands? that would work but, my only jack was holding up the trans. what to do, what to do? Let the air out of the tires. lol.
02-14-14_007.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts