Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How do I

3/4 Ton Joe

1st time ford
I bought my truck this last winter, and I am trying to figure out what motor is in it. Friend of mine says its not the orginal motor and the one that is in it is out of a car, because it has 2 dipstick tubes one on each side.
Thanks in advance

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Hi Joe, welcome to FTF. More info would be helpful.

Year truck, etc.

Engine: count the valve cover bolts on one head and we can tell you which engine family it is. Multiple dipstick locations makes me think immediately of the Windsor line. You can find them in the block, oilpan and timing cover.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
a pic would be a big help.

Year would be a big help.

i assume 8 cylinder.

Not to be ignorant but could one of those dipsticks be a trans dipstick and the other engine oil?

3/4 Ton Joe

1st time ford
They truck is a 90 3/4 4x4 V8 big block from what it looks to me. For mtflat
Engine: count the valve cover bolts on one head and we can tell you which engine family it is. Multiple dipstick locations makes me think immediately of the Windsor line. You can find them in the block, oilpan and timing cover
There are 8 bolts on the valve cover
19 i think on the oil pan
timing cover not sure if you meant the one the hold other things to it also.

Here are some pics

fordtruckmotor003.jpg

fordtruckmotor002.jpg

fordtruckmotor001.jpg

Thanks
Joe

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's a 351M/400 (8 vc bolts and water neck loc). That is swapped in because it's about 7 years too late. Probably originally had a 460 in it and PO probably had 351M/400 lying around when the 460...and since it was bolt in (kinda) he got out of it as cheaply as possible. The 2 dipstick location is typically a tell-tale of a 2wd engine (out of car or truck) into a 4x4.

Ford Truck Articles