Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Questions about F350

Hey Folks, I've been looking at getting a 70's F series truck. Been researching. I've noticed that once in a while a F350 shows up with some kind of wrecker or other service bed on it. Usually low miles and in unusually good shape. I'd consider selling the bed and converting one to a regular bed. However all I've seen are dually rear axles. What would it take to covert one of these to a srw long or short bed truck?

Thanks

Fellro

Staff member
I would expect most that are like that are the cab-chassis variation. The frame rails were narrower than the regular framed, but not so certain if they are narrower than the 4wd of the early and mid 70's, otherwise commonly referred to as highboys. You would need to change out the front hubs at minimum. Not certain how the width at the rear compares to the 3/4 ton or straight wheel 1 ton.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I would expect most that are like that are the cab-chassis variation. The frame rails were narrower than the regular framed, but not so certain if they are narrower than the 4wd of the early and mid 70's, otherwise commonly referred to as highboys.

33 1/2" width between the inner frame rails behind the cab: 1973/77 F250 4WD (High Boys) / 1973/79 F350's on the 140" wheelbase / 1973/79 F350 Cab & Chassis.

37 1/2" width between the inner frame rails behind the cab: 1973/79 F100/350 except as noted above.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts