Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Year ?

My grandpa just recently passed away and this truck was in his yard , I've never seen it driven but I know he had driven it before . I was wondering if anyone could tell me the exact year , my dad believes it to be a '78 . Also if anyone knows the exact name of the color that'd be a big help too, may look into getting it repainted and fixed up one day .

Thanks !!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Fellro

Staff member
The grille indicates 77 for the newest.

It is a Santa too, and there are Christmas lights all over it.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
That's a 1977 with a 1978 - 1979 front bumper on it. The color is a Dark Jade Green Metallic, and the roof and side panels between the racetrack moldings is a Wimbledon White. What you'll want to do is put a 1973 -1977 front bumper and bumper guards on it, and it looks to be a Ranger, or a Ranger XLT which was the top of the line in 1977. It's not a Ranger Lariat for 1978 was the first year of the Ranger Lariat. My thoughts are to restore that truck, especially if it was your Grandfather's truck, and for most of your body and interior parts mostly everything will interchange between the 1973 - 1979 F-100 to F-350 will interchange, as well as the doors and front end from a 1978 - 1979 Bronco will also interchange. And so will the side marker lights and the tail lights, and those same lights will also interchange from the 1975 to 1991 Econoline vans. The front turn signals and parking lights from a 1975 to 1977 Econoline van will also work rather nicely. The sources that I use for parts is the local junkyards, eBay, LMC Truck, Jeff's Bronco Graveyatd, and Dennis Carpenter Ford Reproductions, as well as individuals that are parting out these trucks. Also check out your local car clubs, and go to a few cruise ins and talk to people who have these trucks, and they might know of some good leads for parts or they might even have extra parts that they might not need. That's how I get parts for my 78. Also don't give up, take your time, and have fun. Hopefully you'll find this helpful to you.smiliegitrdonesmilieFordlogosmilieFordlogo

Fellro

Staff member
I'm not so certain that isn't the original bumper for a 77 on it, they could be had with guards as well. I want to say the 78-9 bumpers had the rubber pad on them. When they don't, they also are less smooth, more squarish.

My grandpa just recently passed away and this truck was in his yard , I've never seen it driven but I know he had driven it before . I was wondering if anyone could tell me the exact year , my dad believes it to be a '78 . Also if anyone knows the exact name of the color that'd be a big help too, may look into getting it repainted and fixed up one day .

Thanks !!!!

There should be a vehicle certification label on the rear face of the driver's door. It will show the date of manufacture.
Also, there should be a rating plate (aluminum) which shows a two letter color code for the original colors used on the exterior of the truck. These two letters can be translated into the names of the colors. If you have the "Ownercard" (warranty identification card) which was issued to the original owner, it will have the same two letter code on the aluminum portion of the card.

Fellro

Staff member
The risk of trusting the driver door is that it is assuming that is original. Most times it is, but there are times... However, the title or registration will also tell the tale.

The risk of trusting the driver door is that it is assuming that is original. Most times it is, but there are times... However, the title or registration will also tell the tale.

Yes, this is very true; and we may also be trying to guess an original Ford paint color name on an old weathered truck which may have been repainted. My paint information shows three or four variations of each of the colors. The documents "should" provide the correct model year................if they can be found. Perhaps we should go with the best two out of three sources.(?)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The split grill and round headlights.....my favorite year and the year of my red dent! smilieFordlogo

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Ah! The split grill and round headlights typical of the 1977 models, kind of brings back memories of my first truck, which was a 1977 F-350 Custom Dually with a 10 foot flatbed. The roof on mine was a Wimbledon white like yours and the lower part of my cab and the top of my hood was a Dark Jade Metallic. Which is what yours looks like, and the panel between your mouldings is also a Wimbledon white. The style of your moulding is the race track which is the wide upper moulding and the narrow lower molding with a vertical piece joining the two just ahead of the tail lights and just behind the rear marker light. 1977 was the first year for that style of moulding , and it was used from 1977 to 1979. I have that on my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat. Please check out the July 2015 Truck of The Month which is my truck and you'll see a good example of that moulding.smilieFordlogosmilieFordlogo

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I'm not so certain that isn't the original bumper for a 77 on it, they could be had with guards as well. I want to say the 78-9 bumpers had the rubber pad on them. When they don't, they also are less smooth, more squarish.
1973/77 front bumpers also used on 1978's.

C4TZ-17757-C Painted & C4TZ-17757-D Chrome .. Front Bumpers: 1973/77 F100/350 except 1973/77 Ranger XLT / 1978 F100/350 except Ranger XLT/Lariat before serial number AG0,001.

D3TZ-17757-A .. Chrome Front Bumper-Use with horizontal bumper pads: 1973/77 F100/350 Ranger XLT; 1978 Ranger XLT/Lariat before serial number AG0,001

Last edited:

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
You mean 76 - 77 on the grill , because the 78 z and 79s both had the Louisville looking grills, which made them look like little Louisvilles.smiliegitrdonesmilieFordlogosmilieFordlogo

You mean 76 - 77 on the grill , because the 78 z and 79s both had the Louisville looking grills, which made them look like little Louisvilles.smiliegitrdonesmilieFordlogosmilieFordlogo

I thought the grill didnt change until 78.5

I have seen early build 78 trucks with that grill.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts