Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Paint Chips

Hi All

I'm trying to sand and prime my pickup. The majority of the truck is in great shape except for paint chips. What is the easiest way to repair the paint chips and smooth out the area before i prime the truck in preparation for painting it?

Any certain products anyone prefers over another?

Thanks

Paint chips or door dings ?

The process is the same for any size blemish.

Sand, Fill,Prime, Paint.

You use 880 grit on the paint around the primer so you can blend the paint.

An airbursh works great for this.

I have paint chips all over the truck. I have very little rust or dents, so i'm trying to find the easiest way to repair the little paint chips vs sanding it all the way down. If i sand down a paint chips then you can feel the unevenness. In order for me not to feel that i would have to sand the entire truck all the way down. I'm hoping there is an easier to make the minor repairs on the chips.

So, on the door say i have 10 paint chips and thats it. I need to sand each paint chip down to the metal, then use a filler. Then sand down the entire door and prime it? Should i use any particular filler for these small chips? I'm going to sand down the entire truck and try and do all body work myself before i have it painted.

Sometimes doing the whole panel is faster and looks better than doing 10 small areas.

Air tools (sanders) speed things up.

A solid primer is more dense than regular primer and can be applied with a small brush.

If I have an area i sand down to the bare metal, should i use something better than the cans of primer, or do the cans of primer work well? I notice that the original paint job has a couple different layers (it appears) before you get to the bare metal. They must use something really thick as a primer.

Ford Truck Articles