Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lowering my Expy

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I need to lower my Expy. It's a 4X4,I have a hard time getting in and out of it. I want to drop the front about 8 inches. I was told how to do it but I ain't so sure.

I had to use a torch and cut my torsion bar stop mounts where they lay on the torsion cross member. I think i cut an inch out and with my torch bar stops all the way turned out, that gave me 8" up front and for the rear you can use 4" lowering springs and that will lower a 4wd 6-8 inches. I for get now sense I did this 10 years ago but once you do it you will love it. It handles like a car and you still got 4x4. I also had to shave my front bump stops down to soften the ride.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Sounds like a lot of work. ....you doing it yourself? Anyone else going to help?

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Sounds like a lot of work. ....you doing it yourself? Anyone else going to help?

I will have to find or pay some one to do this. Plus I have to be sneaky about it. The wife said 4 in was ok but 8 was too much.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I will have to find or pay some one to do this. Plus I have to be sneaky about it. The wife said 4 in was ok but 8 was too much.

The low riders are certainly the minority on this forum.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
The low riders are certainly the minority on this forum.

It's not so much of making it a lowrider,it's more about me being able to get in and out without hurting myself. My wife doesn't get it yet but she is complaining about how hard it is to climb in.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Just be sure to get it done properly by a professional Cliff. It's dangerous and expensive when you get a botch job. Lowering it that much involves a lot more than when you only go a few inches. There's wiring, linkages, brake lines, shock replacement, etc. that need to be addressed. (I had a lowered sport truck)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Just be sure to get it done properly by a professional Cliff. It's dangerous and expensive when you get a botch job. Lowering it that much involves a lot more than when you only go a few inches. There's wiring, linkages, brake lines, shock replacement, etc. that need to be addressed. (I had a lowered sport truck)

smiliewhathesaid Dang.....yeah, those kinds of things are a little scary.....wonder if you could pick up something already lowered for what it would cost to do your expi.

Ford Truck Articles