Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Aluminum heater cores?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I have been needing to change my old heater core in the '78. I just don't get the heat that I used to into the cab. I purchased a new aluminum heater core about 2 years ago, and have been on the fence about replacing the brass core with aluminum(Enter horror stories here.)

I am not having much luck finding a new brass core for the '78 with factory air.

So........My question is, if a person is anal about keeping the antifreeze in very good shape such as flush, replace on a regular basis, could a person prolong the life of the aluminum heater core?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
That's what I am thinking also, Frank. The key is to take VERY good care of the coolant system. Thank you.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Most radiator cores are aluminum now as well

I'd use it

Keep in mind, they make test strips to check your coolant, then you know for sure when it's time to flush and change

Aluminum is tricky to maintain ,it is capable of lasting 500 years barried
into the ground if conditions are right!

The right combo of moister & oxygen can cause atralisis on aluminum ,
there for ,aluminum does not like to be smothered with dirt or paint!

Aluminum likes open air or if it has some kind o protectant fluid on it!...:cooldude:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Like cbaker said, I have seen Fords come in the shop with a grounding problem, and it does end up taking it out on the heater core

Those problem childs, I usually solder a 10 ga wire to the side of the core, and run it out to ground on the dash

No more electrolysis holes!

If you want to add that insurance, there it is......

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
You'll be fine. Regarding the coolant just remember, the longevity of the antifreeze protection is not the concern but rather, it's the corrosion protection that has a finite life.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Just remember

If it's low, don't pee in it.......

:wavey:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Don't forget NEW coolant and bottled water. ( premix will work)
If you use well water, you stand a chance of minerals corroding the aluminum
City water has chlorine, which is also corrosive.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You forgot to take me for a ride in it to make sure it heated properly.....

I would have brought the test cat along......

Attachments

• img_20180204_210204139_1__7a85b6be6d901b525bb69a59511698ada230f8dc[1].jpg

Ford Truck Articles