Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1997 Ranger front left spindle damage

My son's Ranger had the outside bearing disintegrate on him. He had to drive it about 10 miles to get it home because we have been getting snow and the tow trucks are prowling all parking lots looking for easy money.

Needless to say, the outside bearing (what was left of it) welded itself to the spindle. We tried heat, and a little coaxing from a hammer and also a puller to try and get it off.

Before my son gets in over his head, does the spindle come separate from the steering knuckle, or does he need to buy the knuckle assembly? Any warnings against going to a salvage yard for this?

It's -20 here in Joliet tonight and he is on the low budget plan. He's hoping to do it this weekend in a unheated garage so going the easiest route is what we are after. Thanks in advance!

Jim

blacksnapon

Staff member
If I remember right, the spindle should separate from the knuckle.the drive axle goes through the spindle. The knuckle has 5 or 6 studs holding the spindle to it.

2 wheel drive truck

I'm sorry, I should have specified it was 2-wd. He's back out at it tonight, we have -7 temps tonight, with -25 wind chill. He's working in my unheated garage, God love that boy! I will find out in a little while if it is a separate spindle or entire assembly. Thanks for your response.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts