Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Life New truck

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Well I am not really getting a new truck to start this portion of my life journey as mine is an 06 F350 already. I am going to have it lifted though.

I was initally going to do a leveling kit with bigger tires on the factory rims. Something simple and clean to get "the look" I went to 2 shops yesterday (1 has done work for me in the past and the other came highly reccomended from some co-workers) Both shops steered me away from the leveling kit a bit because they thought I might be unhappy after a bit because I was not really changing the look all that much because the 4x4 F350 already sits pretty high. They thought I would be happier with the full suspension lift, new rims and tires.

I got a quote for the following.
6" Fabtech suspension lift, the 18" rims in the picture below with 35" Toyo AT tires. $3900 installed out the door.

951.jpg

Now I am not 100% in love with the rims so they may change but other then that the lift, install etc seems to be a pretty good price. First shop (reccomended and cop friendly) gave me that price and second shop (1 I have dealt with in the past) said it was a good price and they had to struggle to match it. SO even though it is more then I wanted to spend I do not think that price is unreasonable.

So what do you guys have for lifts and how do you like them?

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
i personally like the simulated bead locker wheels. chrome wheels or polished will probably look the best in my opinion on a dark truck.

Aaron,
I like the wheels in your first post the best. I think they would look fantastic on a Dark Stone truck. Dark Stone was my color of choice but unfortunately, in '05 the Harley Edition didn't offer it until the '07 version.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I love the dark stone color. It was my color of choice and my dealer had to trade with a dealer 200 miles away to get what I wanted without special ordering it.

Now if I can only find the $3900 to pay for the lift I will be golden...

I've come back and looked a couple of times now and as much as I like the look of black wheels (since I have black wheels) I think I'm going to have to vote for the ones in the first pic. I think a Stone color would work better with all chrome and that split spoke, multi-piece look they have.

Just make sure that whatever size tire you put on there doesn't stick out beyond the wheel well or mud flaps. . . You know how picky those darn CHP guy's can be!:box2:

Aaron,
Your truck is gonna look soooo good.......I think I'm getting jealous...:D
It amazes me just how much slightly bigger tires and nice wheels can make an already sweet looking SD just pop. I have no doubt people will think it's an entirely different truck.

OFF TOPIC:
Aaron- Just how bad would it be to get caught doing 130 mph in CA?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
They also have wheel number 3 in a plain chrome without the black. I do kind of like the old school simple hole design...only time will tell what I go with and when I do it...

First I would have to say it would depend on the cop that caught you. Second what kind of car are you driving. Are you driving Elanore or a 76 pinto. Also would be the attitude of the driver.

If it is me and you are driving Elanore and have a good story, traffic is light to none it could go well for you. if it is rush hour and your 3 year old is unseatbelted in the back seat your probably lookin at a trip to jail. I can overlook a lot of things but not when kids are involved.

If you got the ticket that is bad news over 100mph is generally 2 points on the record (bad mojo for insurance) and the fine rises exponentially based on the mph. The severity of the fine will depend on the judge and what kind of mood he is in.

If you got a ticket and want to talk real life PM me and we can talk. Always willing to help.

Last edited:

Kep4

Jäger
Post #2, top wheel. I don't like chrome or shiny stuff though so I'm biased.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Aaron, you'll like the toyos, they are not the most agressive AT on the market, but they wear pretty darn good (average is 40K if rotated every 4-5k) and the wet weather traction is unreal. (yeah we have "river roads" here in North Louisianna) They are also very quiet, quieter than the stock PukeFG,s.

First I would have to say it would depend on the cop that caught you. Second what kind of car are you driving. Are you driving Elanore or a 76 pinto. Also would be the attitude of the driver.

If it is me and you are driving Elanore and have a good story, traffic is light to none it could go well for you. if it is rush hour and your 3 year old is unseatbelted in the back seat your probably lookin at a trip to jail. I can overlook a lot of things but not when kids are involved.

If you got the ticket that is bad news over 100mph is generally 2 points on the record (bad mojo for insurance) and the fine rises exponentially based on the mph. The severity of the fine will depend on the judge and what kind of mood he is in.

If you got a ticket and want to talk real life PM me and we can talk. Always willing to help.
First, I was at 4 Wheel Parts and saw the rims in pic 3 up close. The pic doesn't do them justice. They look a lot different in person. Now I don't which rims I'd vote for.

Second, thank you for the offer to give me advise on a ticket, luckily I didn't get one, and hopefully I won't have to take you up on that offer in the future.

The car I was driving was my wife's (there's a pic of it next to my truck in the "Hey, we need pics too!" thread) and it was just her and I in it. And had I been caught doing the 130 about the only excuse I could've offered up would've been that I'm an inexperienced idiot (yes, at 40, I apparently still have a lot to learn).

Here's the story: I was heading back home to El Paso from L.A. on I-10, I was just past Indio in the hills, when I came up on 3 England trucks in a mini-convoy in the left lane doing about 60 MPH. They found a small gap to fit into to let me pass, so I did what I would normally do in the Ford or my wife's old SUV, I slammed all the way down on the gas so I could get by all 3 trucks before the lead truck caught-up to slower moving trucks and had to slow down. Well, before I had even made it to the cab of the trailing England truck, I looked down at the speedo and saw that it read 132 MPH. Obviously, my first reaction was to let off of the gas and hope that no CHP were around. But it did make me wonder just how bad it would've been had I been caught doing 130. I've only driven the car a couple of times since my wife got it in January and being a life-long lifted truck and SUV driver, I still haven't quite gotten used to just how fast her car really is.

Ford Truck Articles