Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

power inverter

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
look at your power supply. I'm willing to bet it's 95 watts. The killer there is the video card, which you forgot to mention. It's a 7900 series card if I remember right. It could be past 100.

Ryan

look at your power supply. I'm willing to bet it's 95 watts. The killer there is the video card, which you forgot to mention. It's a 7900 series card if I remember right. It could be past 100.

Ryan

I don't know. Believe it or not I took AC and DC electronics in college. I barely passed those classes. I can't see electricity. Any technical class where I could see something I did very well. [confused]

I don't see any watts listed on it anywhere. Here is the specs on the power supply.

Model: 0302C19120
Input: 100-240V~,50-60Hz 2.0 A
Output: 19V (weird symbol-----line with 3 short lines under it) 6.3A

I didn't think to post the video card :)

Here are the full specs:
Gateway M685-E SBb
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (SP2) w/ XP Professional Backup CD
Application Software: Microsoft® Works 8.5
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7400 (2.16 GHz, 667MHz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache)
Memory: 2048MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules)
Video: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS Graphics w/ 256MB DDR Video Memory
Screen: 17" Ultrabright WSXGA+ TFT Active Matrix (1680 x 1050 max. resolution)
Hard Drive: 100GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Floppy Drive: 6-in-1 media card reader (Memory Stick®, MemoryStick Pro®, MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital™, Mini Secure Digital®, RS-Multimedia Card™)
Optical Drive: Integrated 8x Multi-Format Double Layer DVD Writer (DVD±R/±RW/CD-RW)
Extended Service Plan Including Limited Warranty: Notebook Value Plus Service Plan -- 3 year part/labor/NBD on-site/3 year technical support
Speakers: External speakers not selected
Battery: Primary 8-cell lithium-ion battery with AC pack and 1 yr. limited battery warranty
Security Software: No Security Subscription Selected
Integrated Wireless Networking Adapter: Integrated 802.11a/g wireless networking card
Answers by Gateway Support Cards: 30-minute Answers by Gateway support card (limited time promotion)
Mobile Technology: Features Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology
Expansion Slots: One type II PC card slot
External Ports: (4) USB 2.0, VGA, TV Out, S-Video, IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
Keyboard and Mouse: Full-size keyboard w/ integrated 10-key pad and EZ Pad® pointing device
Multimedia Package: Integrated sound and stereo speakers, headphone/speaker jack, and microphone jacks
Modem: Integrated V.92 56K modem
Network Adapter: Integrated Broadcom® 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapter
Part Number: 1008959
Additional Software: Adobe® Acrobat Reader® 7.0 and Google Toolbar

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
No way can I afford anything decent at the moment, but for later on....

How large of a Pure sine wave inverter would I need for my laptop?

I don't see any watts listed on it anywhere. Here is the specs on the power supply.

Okay, Volts x Amps = Watts

Your power supply charger is designed to operate on 100-240Volts and draw a maximum of 2Amps, so with a 100V input and 2Amps max current draw (lower voltages require higher amp draw to produce the same Wattage) your inverter needs a Maximum of 200 Watts (100V x 2A = 200W) input in order to produce its maximum output below.
Note: If the input voltage is higher than 100V then the Amperage draw will be lower because your power supply charger will still require only a maximum of 200W.

19V x 6.2A = 117.8W Output of your power supply charger (Your charger is an inverter by the way, it is converting AC voltage to DC voltage).

The symbol you see after the 19V (A straight line with three dashes underneath is the symbol for DC Voltage)
The symbol you see after the 100-240V ( A wavy line is the symbol for AC voltage)

So a 150W continuous rated inverter will work just fine (this type of inverter has a momentary peak output of 300W)

Here is a link to one for $119
www.donrowe.com/inverters/puresine_150.html

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I don't know. Believe it or not I took AC and DC electronics in college. I barely passed those classes. I can't see electricity. Any technical class where I could see something I did very well. [confused]

I didn't think to post the video card :)

Here are the full specs:

Hi Brian, I looked on the Gateway website, and here is a AC to DC, and a DC to DC power adapter (all in one) that you can use to power your laptop in
your vehicle (or plane). Gateway doesn't make one specifically for your laptop, but carry a universal Targus unit, that has adapter plugs that set the voltage for various different laptops.

http://www.gateway.com/accessories/product/3259553.php?seg=hm

I have a Lenovo (IBM) AC to DC, and DC to DC power adapter that is made specifically for my T60:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...1BDCE704020B8E567C67D3FA082&model-number=1951

Last edited:
Okay, Volts x Amps = Watts

Your power supply charger is designed to operate on 100-240Volts and draw a maximum of 2Amps, so with a 100V input and 2Amps max current draw (lower voltages require higher amp draw to produce the same Wattage) your inverter needs a Maximum of 200 Watts (100V x 2A = 200W) input in order to produce its maximum output below.
Note: If the input voltage is higher than 100V then the Amperage draw will be lower because your power supply charger will still require only a maximum of 200W.

19V x 6.2A = 117.8W Output of your power supply charger (Your charger is an inverter by the way, it is converting AC voltage to DC voltage).

The symbol you see after the 19V (A straight line with three dashes underneath is the symbol for DC Voltage)
The symbol you see after the 100-240V ( A wavy line is the symbol for AC voltage)

So a 150W continuous rated inverter will work just fine (this type of inverter has a momentary peak output of 300W)

Here is a link to one for $119
www.donrowe.com/inverters/puresine_150.html

See all that? Exactly why it never made any sense to me in school. All numbers and yet nothing you can actually hold in your hands. :headbang:

Hi Brian, I looked on the Gateway website, and here is a AC to DC, and a DC to DC power adapter (all in one) that you can use to power your laptop in
your vehicle (or plane). Gateway doesn't make one specifically for your laptop, but carry a universal Targus unit, that has adapter plugs that set the voltage for various different laptops.

http://www.gateway.com/accessories/product/3259553.php?seg=hm

I have a Lenovo (IBM) AC to DC, and DC to DC power adapter that is made specifically for my T60:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...1BDCE704020B8E567C67D3FA082&model-number=1951

That is ingeresting. However, it can't be used for anything else if it is specific to the laptop.

Thanks for the help guys. Now its just a game of waiting and seeing if the cash comes along. School starts the 20th again.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
See all that? Exactly why it never made any sense to me in school. All numbers and yet nothing you can actually hold in your hands. :headbang:
Wanna bet?? I took electronics in HS. I held 240V and 15A in my hand once. ONCE!! Welded the dykes together and pretty much made me poopy my shorts!!

Wanna bet?? I took electronics in HS. I held 240V and 15A in my hand once. ONCE!! Welded the dykes together and pretty much made me poopy my shorts!!

You didn't hold it long I bet! :rofl:

I have never been zapped...guess I am fortunate.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I have never been zapped...guess I am fortunate.
Heck, that was only the first time. 120V doesn't hurt at all. Just gives ya a little buzz. Even that 240V didn't hurt, just spooked me. The worst is working on video game monitors. If you bump the high voltage line, woo hoo.

Very few inverters actually produce pure sine wave. The Xantrex products do in the Pro-Sine Series. Most inverters produce modified sine wave power. I had a whistler 1000w inverter previous to my Xantrex, and it worked great. It was hard wired in. You can see the power inverter here. It ran power tools, work lights, just about anything I needed.

You can figure that one amp DC will equal about 100w AC. So a 100w incandescent bulb will pull about 10a dc from your vehicle.

daddue11

Missouri Chapter member
I think that's the word for the thing I want, anyway.

I'm thinking about buying a thing that plugs into a cigarette lighter, and gives a regular outlet.

The immediate need is to recharge my laptop, but I don't know what else I might need or want it for in the future. I doubt I'd ever be able to run power tools with it, though it would be cool if I could.

I'd like to find one locally because I need it this weekend, but I don't know where I'd be best to look- Circuit City, Best Buy, Radio Shack are all handy enough, but in different directions.

Nor do I know what specs I should be looking for...I don't want to buy one that's way bigger than I need (unless it's cheap), but I'd hate to find out that for another $5 (or whatever), I could have gotten one that would suit me a lot better.

Thanks!
Hey Jon112,I just posted this on another site it's about the inverter that I just baught.
It would benifit you.
http://www.broncoii-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3763
It's about a 750 watt that I bought at walmart, It's amazing and at a good price.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
We are electricians that also do alternate power, 2 of the best products out there are Outback Power and Samlex.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Ian, in theory all that they're saying is good and absolutly true (I think), but we've had a 400w inverter for I don't remember how many years, and ran the laptop off it and have yet to blow up and laptop power supplies or any of the adversities mentioned in this thread.

It was a really cheap one too - $3?.?? thirty some dollars AND we run it off the cig lighter. Heck, it's sitting out in the truck RIGHT NOW plugged in to the cig lighter and I think I'll go charge my laptop on it RIGHT NOW just for the hell of it. Don't even start the engine, just let it run off the battery lots of times, and I'm typin on that self same computer right now, and IT STILL WORKS.

So don't spend more money than you have on one just 'cause the guys scared you into it.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I think that's the word for the thing I want, anyway.

I'm thinking about buying a thing that plugs into a cigarette lighter, and gives a regular outlet.

The immediate need is to recharge my laptop, but I don't know what else I might need or want it for in the future. I doubt I'd ever be able to run power tools with it, though it would be cool if I could.

I'd like to find one locally because I need it this weekend, but I don't know where I'd be best to look- Circuit City, Best Buy, Radio Shack are all handy enough, but in different directions.

Nor do I know what specs I should be looking for...I don't want to buy one that's way bigger than I need (unless it's cheap), but I'd hate to find out that for another $5 (or whatever), I could have gotten one that would suit me a lot better.

Thanks!
Ian, they make two different types of converters.

Pure Sine wave for sensitive electronics ( computers, TVs, etc...)

Modified Sine Wave for other electronics ( power tools etc...)

Pure Sine waves are more expensive.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Holy ancient thread...

I no longer remember what specific need I had when I asked this, but I've got an inverter in my glovebox that I got from Ryan. No longer remember what the specs are on it...it works, did what I needed it to and now I have it there for the odd occasion I need it for other things. Never tried to run power tools off of it.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Holy ancient thread...

I no longer remember what specific need I had when I asked this, but I've got an inverter in my glovebox that I got from Ryan. No longer remember what the specs are on it...it works, did what I needed it to and now I have it there for the odd occasion I need it for other things. Never tried to run power tools off of it.
Sorry I didn't check the date, it was on top of "New Posts". So I answered man.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
No worries...I was just surprised to see it again.

Nothing wrong with adding good information to an old discussion- it might help someone else later on.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts