Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Locking Glove Box Latch

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
You can easily make your present key you use to unlock your truck work for the locking glove box latch you got at the wreckers :)

First, take note of the position the tumbler is in

unlocked
IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

Two tabs hold the tumbler in place. Spread the tabs apart and the tumbler with fall out
IMG_1922.JPG

Tumbler removed. Do not take apart the latch, no need to
IMG_1923.JPG

tumbler showing the "fingers"
IMG_1926.JPG

tumbler shown without the key in the lock, "fingers" are Proud
IMG_1929.JPG

tumbler shown with key in lock, "fingers" are Flush with barrel
IMG_1931.JPG

"fingers" that you need to re arrange to suit your key. Just pull out with your hand, there will also be a small spring for each spot, total of 5. Start with the first spot and put a "finger" in the hole with the spring and then insert your key to see how the action is. If it Does Not pull the "finger" flush to the barrel, try a different "finger". Repeat for each hole till your done. When your key is inserted, All "fingers" will be pulled in flush allowing the tumbler to rotate 180 degrees, locking the glove box door

IMG_1932.JPG

and your done!!
IMG_1933.JPG

cheers
:wavey:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Great Roy this will help a lot. Maybe the powers that be will sticky this here.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Or maybe do a thread in the Technical Writeup Forum.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Looks like I can't rekey my lock. I don't have a round door lock key mine uses a square key from those elcheapo door locks from O'Reillys :headbang:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Cool stuff Roy - I'm going to re-key the lock in my Bronco to the key from my F-Superduty; one key for them both!

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Looks like I can't rekey my lock. I don't have a round door lock key mine uses a square key from those elcheapo door locks from O'Reillys :headbang:

Hi Cliff, been working on job quotes :)

What your saying is you don't have the factory key to unlock your doors since the exterior locks have been changed? If that's the case, I would get factory locks from the wreckers and swap out the aftermarket ones. If your lucky, they will have a key, if not you can just change the pins in them since you will be changing the lock on the glove box. Then you will have the two keys that the trucks came with (round one for door locks, square one for ignition) Door tumblers are even easier!

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Hi Cliff, been working on job quotes :)

What your saying is you don't have the factory key to unlock your doors since the exterior locks have been changed? If that's the case, I would get factory locks from the wreckers and swap out the aftermarket ones. If your lucky, they will have a key, if not you can just change the pins in them since you will be changing the lock on the glove box. Then you will have the two keys that the trucks came with (round one for door locks, square one for ignition) Door tumblers are even easier!

Yeah I will have to go looking for a set. Our last visit plenty of locks but no keys.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Thank you Roy.

When I had my BroncoII, someone forced a screwdriver into both locks :headbang: so that was my first time with replacing locks. I always work on locks with a white piece of paper put down, those little springs are really little and will forever hide on you! Same for the exterior locks that use pins, not "fingers" that the glove box latch uses.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
How hard is the door locks to do?

Easier than the glove box, I think. There is a black metal spring clip on the door jamb that holds the lock assembly in place. You have to remove the interior door panel to disconnect the linkage. Once the lock is out, it has a metal top cap that holds the springs and pins in place. When you remove the cover, be very careful not to have any of the pieces go missing. (Always make notes or take a pic if you don't feel comfortable) BUT, since we want to get new locks with the factory Ford key included, you will not have to worry about the tumbler, just the one for your glove box.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts