Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

oil pressure: low under load

hey guys had my truck out day testing out the brake system rebuild, new drive lines and does some leak checks. the truck was running fine had 50 psi of oil pressure are 2000rpm. i started to wind her out in 4th to make sure the rear drive line was balanced (shop build the front one long and out of balance). any ways after that my mechanical oil pressure gauge showed the oil pressure drop to 30 psi every time i put a load on the engine (even the slights load). let of the throttle and the oil pressure (at the same rpm) would go back up.

i got this 429 of craigslist last year it had about 50,000 miles on it. tore it all the way down and re bearing-ed it along with arp hardware and reused the pistons and rings.

ideas. am i looking over something simple? im thinking cracked crankshaft. mains and rods have less then 250 miles on them.

for all those wondering. i'm a total Dumb A. i though the stock pan took 7 qts of oil. on top of that i forgot i bought 5 qt jugs. so i put 8 qts of oil in a 6 qt pan, foamed the oil and freaked my self out. to top it off this bonehead didn't check the dip stick after filling the oil.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I missed your original post...but the reply gave me a chuckle!

this is what i get for spending my week away from work, working in the snow. Sunday night comes around and all i want to do i drive the truck down the road, so i hurrry.

glad it was worth a laugh. been cruising around all weekend, everything seem to be running fine.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool that all is good....and I know how it goes....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::beer:

I was gonna suggest maybe a bad pressure relief on the oil pump. Glad it was simpler than that :rofl:

that is a good though! its Kinda of a odd failure mode for most pressure reliefs but stranger things have happened.

Ford Truck Articles