Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

So, need schooled on bearing install

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I can't remember if I posted this before.

Can someone write me a step by step install for bearings? With do's and do not's.

I know I screwed up something somewhere, and would like to figure it out...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
All bearings or specific ones?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Fellro

Staff member
Muffler bearings I assume?

If he is working on an old Mack, that would be correct terminology... Way back, they called the turbo a muffler, and then of course, the bearings were..... muffler bearings.

I bet he needs help with his Big Wheel... ;)

There are 3 choices in bearing ya know... Cam, Rod, and Main. Cam bearings MUST be clocked correctly, or you block oil flow, sometimes to other parts of the block. Rod bearings should have the tabs on the same end if I recall, and cap orientation is important, same on mains. Also, of course, they can not be put on any other than the rod or main web they came from.

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Rods and mains. Loses oil pressure after it warms up and the oil is metallic...

I know that I screwed up the first time just not sure where exactly...

Bite me Frank :D

Fellro

Staff member
Did you keep the rod caps all to the rods they came off of? I made that mistake on the first engine I ever did on my own, but before I was properly trained. They aren't always number stamped, and that one wasn't.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I did, sorta, and they were numbered; BUT, I got dyslexic and flip flopped them. Had them snugged up but not torqued when I caught it.

And you say the tabs should be together, not on each side of the journal????????

Fellro

Staff member
I really don't remember, been a while, but I seem to recall they faced each other. Most times though, they have enough of an offset to prevent that mistake.

Did you prelube them with anything before assembling? I have heard some just use motor oil, but I always use assembly lube to keep something on them long enough to get oil supply to them, as it will take a while before any pressure builds up.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You did check to see if the main bearings were of the correct size?...not trying to be a smart*ss...things can get messed up in packaging.

Fellro

Staff member
Yeah, make sure they aren't oversize, wouldn't the first time that got messed up. How hard did it turn after torqueing the bolts?

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I really don't remember, been a while, but I seem to recall they faced each other. Most times though, they have enough of an offset to prevent that mistake.

Did you prelube them with anything before assembling? I have heard some just use motor oil, but I always use assembly lube to keep something on them long enough to get oil supply to them, as it will take a while before any pressure builds up.
They were offset tabs, placed them 180* from each other as I thought that's how they were when I took it apart. I used assembly lube, how I was taught.
You did check to see if the main bearings were of the correct size?...not trying to be a smart*ss...things can get messed up in packaging.

Yes, as a matter of fact I did..... :D Bought two sets of bearings because of that... didn't check the first time and discovered that both the crank and rod journals were .010 from std.

Fellro

Staff member
Did you do the cam bearings? If just one is clocked wrong, you will have bearing failure... (just looked again and changed my statement a little)

Windsor_Lube.jpg

I am thinking you may have swapped a couple caps unfortunately, unless it isn't on the crank at all.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Unfortunately, that will be what really tells the story. Until then, we will just be guessing.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What did the clearance come in at?

Fellro

Staff member
What you mean clearance??? ;) Few people actually do that any more... but on this occasion, might have saved some trouble.

Ford Truck Articles