Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

idi parts

where the best places to get parts for motor ect ford , international , truck pro or just napa going to check salvage yards for some
needing filter base an possibly new return lines between injectors and few other misc. items
,also would like to know if any one has ever eliminated one of the dual tanks.and how it worked out?if they bypassed the tank selector valve or not

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Try and get the filter base from a 6.9, they don't have that troublesome heating element in them. I sourced my return lines from eBay and bought upgraded o rings through a member of another forum. Never eliminated a tank so can't help you there. If you ever have to put in new glow plugs, MOTORCRAFT ONLY. Happy hunting!

Fellro

Staff member
I guess I missed this one way back when it was posted a year ago...

The heater for the 6.9 is in the fuel line, and the newer ones also have the water in fuel sensor in the filter base as well. What I have done to mine was to take the troublesome water seperator out and put one in from an early 6.2 GM. I have seen the clear filter seperator used on later models and Deere tractors as well.

Return line kits are touch and go, the caps are the weak link. If you don't get good caps, you will continue to have issues.

Tank elimination is easy, I use a short chunk of 3/8" steel line for the main supply and use it to connect the fuel lines that would have gone on the switch. No need to cut ends off or anything, just plug it into the fittings then run a cable plastic tie through the slots in the fittings to tie it together. The steel line is the right size to seal to the o-rings inside the fittings. The return lines use 5/16" steel line.

Ford Truck Articles