Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

who can tell me ? Language problem

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
hi guys;
I do read a lot about the E4OD as a matter point of interest. I read very often that the"torque converter locks up" .although my English is not to bad I think , I do not really understand the meaning of it. Is there a clutch device which "locks " it? Sometimes I do miss proper technical English, but I learn it "along the way".
Here in the Netherlands an automatic trans is "something with a lot of clutches and oilways underneath, and something to stay far away from"
when I watch youtube and reading the forums, Americans are far more common with rebuilding a tranny ( shiftkits, clutchpacks for sale on every corner). I don't bother to rebuilt a tranny or engine; the fact is that here are 98% off the cars are manual shifted. Next year I'm gonna import a secondhand E4OD from the states ( here a secondhand is threated as if a gem is sold) to learn more about an E4.( Maybe I'm a Fordfanatic? grinn)

best regards Ton

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It means that the fluid coupling is basically taken out of the equation with the use of a solenoid activated valve that allows more fluid into a certain area of the converter that causes the clutch mechanism to lock up with very minimal slip. This is my basic understanding anyway.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Ton, do some reading on how torque convertors work, if you dont understand...
Then duncan's post will make more sense. I am not fluent in dutch, sorry! ( i hope that is the language you speak!)

Last edited:

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Thanks everybody and especially Mark; I've read the article with great interest; in fact I've bookmarked it to read it a second time. My English is not to bad, but sometimes it can be hard to understand a technical explanation precisely.
(never ask me to speak english.... I speak Dutch/Scottish:rolling laugh: )

lets keep those great Fords rolling!!! I went into the city of Haarlem (were my family lives); the first time with the truck.... It's hard to find a proper parkingplace and when I've found one, my Ford stood one meter out of the row hahahahaha

best regards to y'all guys

Ton

silverz51

Georgia Chapter member
Thanks everybody and especially Mark; I've read the article with great interest; in fact I've bookmarked it to read it a second time. My English is not to bad, but sometimes it can be hard to understand a technical explanation precisely.
(never ask me to speak english.... I speak Dutch/Scottish:rolling laugh: )

lets keep those great Fords rolling!!! I went into the city of Haarlem (were my family lives); the first time with the truck.... It's hard to find a proper parkingplace and when I've found one, my Ford stood one meter out of the row hahahahaha

best regards to y'all guys

Ton

Hey Ton, I've been to Amsterdam and drove from there to Nijmegen and back. The roads were great and I found help when we got lost even at 3 a.m. on Christmas! It's a great country to visit, I hope to go back some day in the summer... However, I can't see where you could ever find a parking place for a F150. The streets in Amsterdam where I walked, around the Centraal Station all the way to the Stadhouderskade, are way too narrow for even those little cars people drive over there. You must be a great driver :)
And BTW, the Dutch speak better English than the average American LOL!

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Het sluit de converter om 1:1 verhouding dus geen slip en in sommige tranmissie geef u een extra versnelling (overdrive)
ik denkt dat the E4OD sluit het converter op bij ongeveer 40 mph om geen meer slip om minder heette voor trekken en ook in overdrive.. (4de versnelling)

Ik ben van Aruba wij leren nederlands op school en ik ben een werktuigbouwkunder student

Last edited:

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Hi Silver:) :)
Nice to read you had fun in Amsterdam. I personally do not like the big cities at all; since we moved to the countryside ,three years ago, we do like the open space around, the tulipfields behind our house . (at this moment big tractor aree riding along our house with fertilizer, on an on.
Hallo Jurgen; yes, now I understand the "convertorlockup' . Happy that there is a lock up; it gives more power for less gas.

best regards and,,,, aruba.... hmmmm nice warm

Ton

Ford Truck Articles