Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ranger towing capacity

I have a 93 2.3/5speed single cab short bed.
Using the hitch on the bumper what would you say is safe to tow?
How much would that increase if I added a dedicated trailer hitch?

I realize I could just look at the owners manual, but since they have a method of determining the limits that may or may not apply to the real world, I'm hoping someone here has experience and is able to give me a clearer answer.

Thanks!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've pulled a trailer at least 1500 miles off the bumper of my '97, but it wasn't very heavy. I'd guess empty trailer might be 6-700 lbs, and the heaviest load could've touched 1500 including the trailer.

That truck has 4.10 gears, which help, but it ain't exactly a speed-demon. I'd guess anything over 1000 lbs becomes a chore to tow. Under that, as long as you remember it's back there it's a non-issue.

If your bumper is stock and not rusty, I think it's adequate for all the truck will comfortably pull; be aware that the step-tow bumper sits higher than many trailers, which can lead to instability if you don't balance it right.

How much are you looking to pull?

This load was an easy 1500-2k lbs..
reqeheru.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Considering an 18-20' full size camper, empty. If there is hefty tongue weight, I could add a little weight to the back end to lift the tongue up. Very high chance I'll be buying one to live in within 2 months. More than like it it will be towed no more than 200 miles from purchase location to a lot. If anything more, there will be 1 more time it gets towed halfway across the country. (Which I will more than likely just rent a large uhaul truck, put my truck inside and tow the camper smilietease )

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
A camper that size is probably, what- 3500 lbs?

I won't say I wouldn't do it...but I sure wouldn't do it if I didn't really, really have to. And even then, I'm not sure I would...10 miles, maybe; 200 probably not.

I certainly cannot in good conscience recommend it.

(4-banger Rangers generally came with lighter springs, too- the 4-banger might run out of guts before the truck runs out of spring, but my 4.0L Ranger is a LOT more stable with a trailer than my 4-cyl was.)

On edit: as I think about the heaviest thing I ever moved with that truck...NFW I'd tow an 18' camper 200 miles with it in rolling terrain. It might make it, but it'll put more $$$ worth of wear on the truck, than it would cost to rent a bigger one.

Last edited:
3500? I've been hearing 2200 for an 18'... Yeah, that's a different league...
I'll just use my old mans 03 Sequoia and let that take the beating. He can probably write it off when it gets its next recall (gets one about every 8 months, usually a year or two after he had to replace the recalled part :rofl: )

A camper that size is probably, what- 3500 lbs?

I won't say I wouldn't do it...but I sure wouldn't do it if I didn't really, really have to. And even then, I'm not sure I would...10 miles, maybe; 200 probably not.

I certainly cannot in good conscience recommend it.

(4-banger Rangers generally came with lighter springs, too- the 4-banger might run out of guts before the truck runs out of spring, but my 4.0L Ranger is a LOT more stable with a trailer than my 4-cyl was.)

On edit: as I think about the heaviest thing I ever moved with that truck...NFW I'd tow an 18' camper 200 miles with it in rolling terrain. It might make it, but it'll put more $$$ worth of wear on the truck, than it would cost to rent a bigger one.

I know this is an old thread; but just for the record: My old '94 2.3L/5spd and my current '06 2.3L/5spd were OEM-equipped with the optional step bumper. This bumper is equipped with an integral hitch. It requires a ball with a 3/4" shank. Printed right on the plastic cap of both bumpers was, 'Max tongue weight 200-lbs, Max trailer weight: 2000-lbs'.

BarnieTrk smilieFordlogo

I did end up towing 1500 pounds 3 weeks ago, and the truck made it to 48-50MPH and said "nope." With 25MPH winds pushing me, i could do 53...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts