Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HELPP!! The crew cab is down!

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
So my truck is currently dead in the water and won't start, every great once in awhile it'll fire up for a little while but won't start back up again. At first, we found a problem w the ign. Coil (it shorted and went out). Then last night after it dying twice on my way home, we assumed it to be the fuel filter, it acted like it was running lean, we replaced it and still no go (the fuel filter was just about completely plugged) it's not throwing any codes, does any
One have any ideas to help solve my mystery? I'm growing short on patients some one plz helpsmilieFordlogo

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Yeah, gotta check the basics.

In my few experiences, electrical isn't quite as intermittant. I'd suspect fuel delivery.

Ryan

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
I know when we were messing with it last night you could still hear front and back fuel pumps, I just got in from work I'm about to go make sure it's getting fuel to the injectors

primetime

sawmill slave
As Smokey says, it could be a pump. Especially if the fuel filter was that bad. I had two go bad in my 94, and the pump never quit running. You could cycle the key a few times and it would try to start, but wouldn`t. Each time I threw a gauge on it and it was only putting out about 20 psi.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Also a fuel pump can put out the right pressure but not the right volume. There is a fuel pump volume tester made to check for this, but checking pressure first is the way to go in your case.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
Well... Ive been busy the past day or so, so I trusted my friend w working on the truck...bad plan...he went and bought a new msd cap and rotor (which iv been wanting to do anyway) ...then a new distributor....and didn't mark the placement of the old one... So now because of my genius friend I'm stuck up sh*t creek trying to find the proper placement for my distributor...im slightly frustrated. Any ideas boys?

Last edited:

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
I got my firing order and piston numbers, any one have the factory timing mark? And should I bump my timing like commonly done w the 5.0l?

Ford Truck Articles