Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

v8 conversion

I have that 99 that is sitting upstate and nobody wants to buy. I was thinking of perhaps dropping a v8 in it and building something out of it as opposed to just leaving it sit there becoming a glorified planter....
what would it entail? anyone done this mine is a stock four banger automatic 2wd
anyone got some suggestions as to what to do with the dern thing?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well it depends Bob if its a 2wd then you could drop a small block stroker and turn it in to a awesome little street truck.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Make it a "dumb" truck....
Run it off a carb and use a c6... No comp needed...

Direct bolt in?
Not likely... But it could be done probably pretty easily...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You can get the motor mounts from an Explorer with the 302, IIRC. Don't think your existing tranny will bolt up, or hold up to the power, for that matter. You wanting to stay automatic?

I think Zach (RangerPilot) put a V8 in his old Ranger....

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
IIRC, the 351 requires you to remove the heater box (or at least extensively modify it), while the 302 doesn't.

I'd go 302 and a T-5...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Those of us who live up north are rather fond of heat...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
If you emission testing in your state and depending how strict they are about it you may have to go EFI.
Even a 302 might not be legal.
Depending how the emissions law is wrote in your state. you may be limited to a 4.0 because it is the only option in a ranger because nothing larger than the 4.0 was offered in it.
To put a 302 in a ranger without a body lift will require a little hammer work on the tranny tunnel to allow for the larger bell housing. The heater box will need notched also, this can be patched over to allow you to have heat a/c forget about that.
You will also need to beef up the front coil springs to accommodate the extra weight of the engine and to keep the truck in alignment.
All in all a 4.0 swap will be as easy because you can get all the parts needed from a 4.0 ranger and it will be almost a direct swap. You will have a few wiring issues but nothing big.
the 4.0 and a stock 302 are close in HP so unless you have the motor and tranny already a 4.0 swap will be easier and less of a hassle with the emissions testing.
T

Ford Truck Articles