Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

five years ago tonight

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
IMG_2238.jpg

~89,200 miles later, it doesn't look much different. Little rougher around the edges, few minor accessories added.

IMG_0240.jpg

(Pic is a couple years old, but not much has changed since then.)

Repairs have been few: both front wheel bearings, new front shocks (new rears are waiting for me to install them), outer tie rod ends, and some warranty work to the power window tracks is all I can recall it needing outside of routine maintenance (tires, front brakes, fluids). Except the first wheel bearing, none have been terribly inconvenient.

Good truck. Does what I bought it for, and does it well. Plenty of good years and miles left, and I see no reason to replace it for many years.

Up-to-date fuel consumption data shortly.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Time flies!....glad to hear it's been good to you and that's a decent amount of miles per year as well.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
^^So do I. :p

Now for a few numbers...

Odometer reads 89,458, and read 241 when I drove it off the lot. In that time, I've pumped 4,521.6 gallons of gas into it, costing $15,385.88. This equates to an overall average of 19.7 mpg- not bad given that the window sticker says 15/19.

I've driven it in, I think, 15 states and two Canadian provinces. Couple naps and an all-nighter, but I'm shocked to find I have yet to actually sleep a night in it.

Since I keep absurdly detailed records of gas consumption (because it amuses me to do so), here's every tank of gas that I've put into it:

mpgvsdate_zpsab5851fc.jpg

And, since I've got all the data...here's how the odometer has climbed over time:

odovsdate_zpsd0d76a29.jpg

And, although it's not a truly representative sample of anything useful, here's what the gas in my tank has cost me over the years:

gaspricevsdate_zps427865cb.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That is cool Ian....and unless I'm reading something wrong, mileage does drop off in the Winter....idling and Winter fuel.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Definitely the trend- I think the winter fuel is the primary culprit, but increased idling and cold parts also drag it down, and I suspect that overall, my driving habits (i.e. a greater fraction of my miles are short trips) are less efficient during the winter months.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That mileage is damn good though.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Love the graphs.....do you have software or an app? Or are you just using excel.....This is going to compel me to do the same for my vehicles. Very cool. Congrats!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It's all in Excel, but I built macros to do all the dirty work back when the truck was new.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
100k_zpstdt22osl.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yep- got a new bike that way a couple years ago. :D

I was (mildly) annoyed to see that I've lost my tenths-place on the odometer. After this long, I was kind of used to having it there.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
When I bought it, I figured to aim for either 10 years or 200k, and anything after that was a bonus.

Still more or less what I'm figuring.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool Ian, from what you've said over the years, you've had minimal issues right?

Ford Truck Articles