Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2003 6.0 F250 360.000 Km

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
depends who you talk to... there are some that go well over 500,000km before needing rebuilt.. then there are others other there that are just problem children...

The 6.0 was built by Navstar/International which uses the same engine in their own fleet and are pretty reliable and trouble free for them... These engines were sold to Ford for use in the SD and Van fleets... which Ford had alot of problems with them... which was mostly fords fault... When international gave them the engines they provided the tuning along with it... Ford took that tuning and turned it up to "11" to get better numbers to out perform the competitors (GM and Dodge)... which in turn put a lot of stress on the engines.. in addition to this they also ran coolant they were explicitly told not to run by International/Navstar in the engines which then caused the EGR and Oil cooler failures...

keeping it well maintained helps but can still have issues... the 03 and early 04's had the weaker High Pressure Oil Pumps. where the later 04+ had a stronger HPOP but a problematic SCT fitting... My trucks an 04 but its an 03 Build... engine wise i havent had a lot of problems... more mine were issues in the drivetrain from the PO not doing the maintenance on it... knowing how to work on the engine will save you a bundle...

is this one your looking to buy or one you already have and wanting to know what to look for??

Hey Shawn! Sure is a loaded question he posted isn't it!!

Not meaning to contradict, but the later 04.5's had a larger HPOP, but still the unreliable swash plate type. The reliable pump (w/ the STC fitting) didn't happen until 05.

p.s. - glad to see some activity here!

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Hey Shawn! Sure is a loaded question he posted isn't it!!

Not meaning to contradict, but the later 04.5's had a larger HPOP, but still the unreliable swash plate type. The reliable pump (w/ the STC fitting) didn't happen until 05.

p.s. - glad to see some activity here!

hey Mark didnt know you were over here too :) good to have a second set of eyes in here....

i wouldnt call that a contradiction there... just added info... on the other site all i see is people complain about how much the 03 builds had a "crappy" hpop where the later 04 builds were better but just had a problem with the stc fittings... so you just clarified the issue a little more... id only ever seen mention of the 2 styles... you pointed out a 3rd..

Diesel Tech Ron has done some great things, but he stated on one of his videos that the 04.5 had the new style pump and the STC fitting. Because of that, the posts on this just won't ever stop.

Ford states it is clearly an 05 thing, and so far I haven't seen or heard of it and have asked quite a few Techs over the years if they have seen it. I would have to see it personally (and I haven't), or have one of the experienced Techs here (or on any other forum) confirm that they have seen it on an 04.5 before believing it happened. In all these years I haven't seen an experienced Tech confirm it (other than DTR - and I believe that to be an error that just wasn't able to be corrected).

If they are still active here, there are plenty of Techs that could weigh in on it for sure!

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Diesel Tech Ron has done some great things, but he stated on one of his videos that the 04.5 had the new style pump and the STC fitting. Because of that, the posts on this just won't ever stop.

Ford states it is clearly an 05 thing, and so far I haven't seen or heard of it and have asked quite a few Techs over the years if they have seen it. I would have to see it personally (and I haven't), or have one of the experienced Techs here (or on any other forum) confirm that they have seen it on an 04.5 before believing it happened. In all these years I haven't seen an experienced Tech confirm it (other than DTR - and I believe that to be an error that just wasn't able to be corrected).

If they are still active here, there are plenty of Techs that could weigh in on it for sure!

seems like all the formal techs up and left... so its just us with what knowledge we have to try and help the little guys out...

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
yeah i saw that after i had posted asking if it was something he was looking to buy or had bought...

Ford Truck Articles