Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I am as rusty as my new truck!

4x4 fule pump shows to be different..

I ordered one from bumper to bumper in town, 25 bux, will be here today.

Will update as soon as I install it. Thanks again for the help and good words.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yeah, 4x4 is a different pump, it sits different because of the clearance for the front rear
Sorry, I thought you had a 4x2, or would have given you a 4x4 part #

No prob,

I was in the auto parts business for 20+ years. But I am quite rusty on my wrenching. The pump did not come in today, now they say Friday, and $25.99
I am going to try to get them to knock a little off of the price.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Let them know that you will be buying all of your parts from them from now on. Set up a "cash account" in their commercial side.

Usually if a parts house knows that you will buy only from them, they will give you a discount

I'll work on that,

but they are the only game in town. They also have the only good auto shop in town and I have spent literaly thousands with them. I pay them to do a lot of work I could do myself, as I no longer have a "shop", and I hate crawling around in the dirt to work on my trucks. I am currently "biting my tongue" and crawling under my "new" truck as money is real tight right now. Thanks for the tips, and I will "beat them up" on the fuel pump price when it comes in.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Anytime, no problem at all, we are are here to help each other, and learning from each other, I feel your pain about not having garage facilities and having to pay lots of money to get little things done that I could do myself, plus I have pay for winter storage for my 78. And also pay for the little minor repairs on my Chevy Colorado , which is my DD. But keep up the good work on that truck, and post some pics of that rig. And don't give up on fixing up that old Ford. It's guys like us that are preserving these old Fords and keeping them from the crusher.

Went to the parts store again today,

The fuel pump still had not come in. The parts lady took the old pump and matched it up, I got an M6882 pump. It fit fine, and it is installed. I did not pull the battery out of my '73 to test it out yet, it was too late in the day. I'll do that tomorrow afternoon.

I will only drive old iron. These new cars drive me nuts. The new tractors are all goung computer crazy as well.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Glad to hear that you got your new fuel pump and had gotten it installed, I also agree with you that the newer stuff is totally crazy with computers, I'd much rather work on my 78 F-150 than on my 07 Chevy Colorado, which is my DD . But the old Ford is easier to work on and that one is my cruisin' truck and therapist after a long screwed up day at work . So to me cruisin' in my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat is therapeutic, and after a bad day it's time for therapy..

Truck runs well!

The 2bbl base gasket did not match up well, so I have a minor vacuum leak.

The brake pedal sucks down to the floor, so the booster must be bad. I just put one on my '73, but the pedal got hard after the first pump. What would give this symptom, where the brake pedal pulls down as soon as I start the engine?

Fellro

Staff member
The booster valve is bad, or the pedal is sitting out of position all the time, which then triggers the booster.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
that sounds more like a fluid leak in the brakes somewhere.
Either a line,calipers, or wheel cylinders. it could be a internal leak in the master cylinder also.
I didn't see what fellro posted could be the valve also

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I would try bleeding the brakes before I did anything. Could be that a repair was made at some point, and the person making the repair did not know to bleed the brakes.

Use a little heat on the bleeders first, so as not to twist them off.
I usually take them all the way out, and clean them before bleeding the whole system.
Care should be taken, as the proportion valve needs to be centered in the bleeding procedure on your truck

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I had put a new master cylinder and vacuum booster on my 78 F-150 after I had an intermittent hard and soft pedal and I had them both replaced at the same time and that solved my brake pedal issues, and your minor vacuum leak at the base of you carb could also contribute to it as well. But I also agree with what Fellro said in his post.

The check valve?

Can I replace said valve? I have the old booster from the 73, and they are the same. I'll check the brake pedal as well. Thanks

F O T

Fellro

Staff member
How are the brakes before you start the truck? If soft, you need to resolve that first, but the pedal sucking down on its own leads me to think the booster is being activated either by the pedal constantly depressed a little, which lends to the brake hydraulic system needing help, or that the internal valve for the booster being stuck, which then draws it, but only so far if the hydraulics are up to snuff.

The brake pedal is lower than it should be it seems,

as soon as I start the truck the pedal gets pulled to the floor, and I cannot pull it up by hand, that is how hard it is being sucked down. I'll do some more checking this afternoon and give you all an update. Headed to the feed store now.

Ford Truck Articles