Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

instrument cluster goes crazy

Hello, this is my 1st post here. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

When I go to start the truck the gauges jump back n forth, there's a clicking sound that's like a faster hazard light clicking, the dome light sometimes goes on and off. It'll start and drive fine. After it runs for about 30sec the gauges seem to reset and work fine. When I shut it off, remove the key and open the door there's a fast clicking noise that will stay on for a about a minute. The clicking noise is coming from inside the instrument cluster on the left side. I've replaced the door ajar switch on the driver door. No help.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

blacksnapon

Staff member
Gauges sweeping are usually from loss of power or ground. Check the grounds behind both kick panels first, making sure they are clean and tight.

Thanks

by kick panels do you mean the covers on the sides of the foot wells? I'll have a look. This started after I notice the after market radio was loose, as if someone had removed it and put it back.
thx

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yes next to where your feet go. And maybe they tapped into wires they shouldnt have.

makuloco2000

Certified Ford Tech
Hello, this is my 1st post here. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

When I go to start the truck the gauges jump back n forth, there's a clicking sound that's like a faster hazard light clicking, the dome light sometimes goes on and off. It'll start and drive fine. After it runs for about 30sec the gauges seem to reset and work fine. When I shut it off, remove the key and open the door there's a fast clicking noise that will stay on for a about a minute. The clicking noise is coming from inside the instrument cluster on the left side. I've replaced the door ajar switch on the driver door. No help.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

It is the battery saver relay inside of the cluster for those years going bad intermittent. I have had a rash of these in the past year. BELIEVE ME!

Ford Truck Articles