Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > General Conversation

Old 11-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
It's no longer a status symbol when one of the monthly "stamp collectors" ends up with a Benz in the driveway.
Sad thing is...'stamp collecting' can be a cash only business, and I've seen some of these stamp collectors pull out wads of hundos that make me feel bad about my own bank account.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sure it's listed somewhere in the commodities market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 11-29-2017, 02:53 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEB Ben View Post
Sad thing is...'stamp collecting' can be a cash only business, and I've seen some of these stamp collectors pull out wads of hundos that make me feel bad about my own bank account.
I covered that in post 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
Try telling that to all the drug dealers driving them around here.......
Old 11-29-2017, 04:13 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
I covered that in post 3
Yo playa...allegedly

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Ben
Old 12-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Licensed to Represent!

taxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEB Ben View Post
I didnít realize a pre-owned lease was an actual thing. So I think people are still safe looking down their proverbial nose at people with Ďlast years modelí. That said, in todayís throw away culture, I think the smart move is leasing. Might require a little more expendable income, but Iím to the point now, where a new a vehicle every 3 years is way more appealing than tying up cash in an outright purchase, that has essentially a 10 year life span before itís a valueless asset, where you have to have your ass hanging over a fender years 5-10.
As they get harder to work on, I hate to admit that I am starting to see the validity of this statement.....coming from a staunch supporter of NEVER LEASING, the smaller monthly payment for a car that will never break down (always warranteed) is starting to make sense to me.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
2006 F150 King Ranch
2007 Expedition EB

www.taxreliever.com

Quote:
Or, as the great Greek philosopher Testiclees once said: "Man who goes through turnstyle in airport is going to Bangkok."
Old 12-05-2017, 08:26 PM

cbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond repute
Parts are a dime a dozen for oldies ,its the price of gas ,gas ,gas that gets me!.....

Im not a bum,Im on vacation!....
Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
I'll never lease a car, it's literally the most expensive way to operate a vehicle. That's why they do leases, there's more money to be made. And they don't have to show fairness in lending data since you're technically "renting" instead of "financing."

But hey if they wanted to grow the company, they had to push it out to the masses. So nope! It's not quite the status symbol it used to be. Although I'm sure it's a very nice ride.

Ryan
Old 12-06-2017, 09:32 PM
just growing older not up

polarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Rattlecan View Post
I'll never lease a car, it's literally the most expensive way to operate a vehicle. That's why they do leases, there's more money to be made. And they don't have to show fairness in lending data since you're technically "renting" instead of "financing."

But hey if they wanted to grow the company, they had to push it out to the masses. So nope! It's not quite the status symbol it used to be. Although I'm sure it's a very nice ride.

Ryan
That's a very broad brush you're painting with. There are situations where leasing can make a lot of sense. As with all things, depends on the individual, the circumstances, and the particular lease deal offered at the time.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxreliever View Post
As they get harder to work on, I hate to admit that I am starting to see the validity of this statement.....coming from a staunch supporter of NEVER LEASING, the smaller monthly payment for a car that will never break down (always warranteed) is starting to make sense to me.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Yeah...don't get me wrong, I was against it for a long long long time. But I did the 15+ year old vehicle thing as a DD. After gas and daily/weekly/monthly repairs, it was about the same as a new car payment/gas/insurance. After a handful of new cars, about the same time the warranty/payments end...I've found that's when it can get really expensive. Not sure if I'm just at a different/better stage in my life...but the sound of a new car every 3 years and only ever having to worry about turning the key and pointing the direction I wanna go, is way more appealing than wondering how much longer I have until X part gives out, or needing to get to work in 12 hours, but the part you need isn't local, or bringing in a 10 year old car and paying more in diagnostics than the car is worth...much less whatever the cost parts and labor will be because the average Joe can't wrench on these spaceships.

I'm sure there's more accurate math out there, but say in a 10 year span you buy 2 $15,000 trucks (chances are good you buy a 15 year old truck and you DD it, you'll need a second before year 10). You average $100/mo in repairs. That's $42,000 over that time frame. If I take a $369/mo lease over that same 10 years...that's $44,280. You can bet your sweet ass, I'll pay an extra $2-3k to be able to drive 3-4 brand new cars I won't have to touch, and have peace of mind my wife and new child won't end up stranded somewhere. I've definitely blown $2-3k in worse ways...in a weekend, much less a decade.

Quote:
Inspired by Ian

Ben
Old 12-08-2017, 04:49 AM
Licensed to Represent!

taxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker65 View Post
Parts are a dime a dozen for oldies ,its the price of gas ,gas ,gas that gets me!.....
For the carb'd ones and even the older EFI's from the 90's and early 2000's, but everything with computers and digital bezels must be a bear for the old school mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Rattlecan View Post

Ryan
I used to think this way Ryan and was, literally, THE LARGEST NE-GATOR OF LEASING VEHICLES. While I think it does make money for the auto manufacturers (so does selling outright eh?), I believe it's also another way auto manufacturers can offer 1) another product for their customers and 2) another option that fits their lifestyle and budget.

I think leasing instead of purchasing can work for the minority. And in a perfect world, I think we should all purchase used (to save on depreciation) and ride that baby out till it feasibly (regardless of hassle or inconvenience) makes no fiscal sense.

What got me thinking about a lease is when we took our 2014 Lexus SUV in for it's 5000 mile maintenance (has 39k miles on it) and the breaks were $700 and we were in the process of paying for our extended warranty for $3500 for 3 more years (100/month for 3 years? part of a lease payment or car payment?) among other things.

We did the used thing for our entire lives and marriage and it worked out great for us saving us tens of thousands of dollars on depreciation and interest, but those savings traded or purchased things like, breaking down on the side of the road, being late for whatever occasion because of the repair, being without the vehicle for an extended period of time as it's being repaired (you really need 2 vehicles for this as we did, one and I'm not sure how that would work - with a warrantied lease, they often give you a vehicle while the repair is made, I know Lexus does), not starting in the middle of winter, embarrassment (many stories here), safety (many stories here as well), etc. Don't get me wrong, even brand new vehicles or the brand new vehicle that is one, two, or in its third year can have those issues mentioned above, but they are exponentially decreased for sure and again, part of the additional cost of leasing or what you're paying for.

ALL of the vehicles in my fleet over the last several years are gone, traded, sold, etc. EXCEPT my two classics of course (77 and 79 dents) which tells me that even the used ones are just temporary transportation until it makes sense tax wise (for business owners like myself) and fiscally when repairs begin to exceed value and safety to buy again.

So, we bought our Lexus 12 months ago for $40k (had 36k miles on it) and when we took it in for its 5000 mile warrantied maintenance (had 39k miles on it) they offered me $32k for it in trade. So the $8000 less ($667/month) is what I paid in depreciation and I could have had a 2016 with 0 miles on it for the same monthly or a little less with more reliability and less money out for regular repairs and maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear View Post
That's a very broad brush you're painting with. There are situations where leasing can make a lot of sense. As with all things, depends on the individual, the circumstances, and the particular lease deal offered at the time.
Agreed.
2006 F150 King Ranch
2007 Expedition EB

www.taxreliever.com

Quote:
Or, as the great Greek philosopher Testiclees once said: "Man who goes through turnstyle in airport is going to Bangkok."