Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

explorer for a driver / wheeler questions

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I want to pick up an explorer for a driver for back and forth to ND to save miles on my Deezle.

I am wondering what you guys would go with. I wanna go cheap and there are some options around here.

Do i want to go with a 4.0 and get a manual trans? Or do i go for the 5.0 and get stuck with the auto?

Ive had 2 in the past. both 4.0s one manual, one auto. the manual had a small leak and unfortunately my dumb ex decided to drive it around like that and siezed it up. Other than the goofy plugs are they fairly bulletproof? I liked my auto pretty well actually. The 4.0s werent bad but left a little to be desired in the zoomaloom department. I may end up racing it through at the sand drags, maybe the obstacle course.

Aside from this thing getting driven back and forth to ND i intend on doing the SAS with and putting some bigger tires on it. Nothing crazy obviously but enough i can go out and cruise the woods and not bottom it out on a frog turd. Im wondering whats involved in the SAS? Can you do like the F-150s and swap parts from existing rigs and make it work or is there a TON of fab work involved? Can the transfer case be used thats in it? Have you guys SASd one, and how did it handle the highway? Was it worth doing in the end? What axles are you guys using? I believe a D30 would fit, but is it heavy enough to handle a 5.0 with a gnarly cam in it?

Am i waisting my time and should i just go fullsize bronco?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
FSB would be a heck of a lot easier. I really liked my Ex for a daily; though it was a mostly stock 4.0 auto 4x4...

Ford Truck Articles