Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Advice: Axles, front, rear both

As many of you have read. i swapped a 429 into my 77 f150 4x4. doing this swap seems to have pushed the trans and t case further toward the rear of the truck about 2". this is ideal for the over all fit of the power-train in the truck.

What i have found is the front axle drive-line cant extend enough to meet the front axle yoke. knowing i going to have to have a drive line made has me thinking about a dana 50 or 60 up front and what that would all entail to keep front suspension stock. it seems it would be fairly strait forward just cut and weld the radius arm blocks from axle to axle. i would probably put a 60 in the rear for matched wheel lugs. i been doing some reading around but couldn't find solid answers, anyone done this?

anyways thoughts on what to do. will dana 44 hold up to power for weekend street use and light ocational trail work, upgrades to it? or some form of 50/60 or 60/60?

either way going to try and get tags in the next few weeks and start roading this truck to find any other unknown issues and 4x4 isnt going to be needed.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think the 44 would hold up to sane use. I'm keeping my own as a 44 with upgraded axle shafts by Moser and don't expect any issues.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts