Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lift kit

Ok guys. Is there a lift kit out there for the 80-86 F-150's? If so, where can I get one? Also, give me the low-down on what is involved, when it comes to lift kits I don't know the first thing about them, I do not know what else I need or should do, remember I am still new to trucks. Have lots to learn! I would like to get a lift though, and bigger tires too. Not too big of a lift or too much tire, but just enough for a good, streetable combo that I can take muddin and offroadin and have good clearance and enough lift that I won't get stuck very easily.

As far as a lift, I do not know. I would be more concerned about some sort of locker in the rear axle. With an open diff (which I am just assuming you have) a lift and tires don't do a lot of good.

If I ever get the 9" picked up for mine, I want some sort of lunchbox locker for it. Pegleg burn outs are not cool at all. :headbang:

As far as a lift, I do not know. I would be more concerned about some sort of locker in the rear axle. With an open diff (which I am just assuming you have) a lift and tires don't do a lot of good.

If I ever get the 9" picked up for mine, I want some sort of lunchbox locker for it. Pegleg burn outs are not cool at all. :headbang:

Actually, I have done 2 brake stands with this truck and both times I have left 2 black streaks. It's also 4 wheel drive, and I am assuming that when I am in 2 wheel drive, there is literally 2 wheels pullin', at least i'd like to think.[confused]

Hard to say for sure. Check the axle code on the door and post it. It may very well be a factory trac-lock axle or someone may have installed a locker of some sort.

You can feather the brakes and sort of lock the rear axle on fords. It does not always work, but in a muddy spot, I have done it before.

If you have a rear locker/limited slip...you are ahead of the game.

I wish I could tell you something about lifts, but I have never lifted one.

BTW: get that frame fixed before you go lifting it. LOL

BTW: get that frame fixed before you go lifting it. LOL

Oh yeah, I hear ya on that lol!!! Well, I should have updated yall on that too, I found a guy through a buddy of mine that is a pipe fitter/welder and has a shop where he has other people that do all kinds of weld jobs, says he should be able to do it for free, if not then very cheap.YelloThumbUp :nana: I have a few things I gotta do to the truck before I start lifting it or modifying it, but I am just trying to gather info. and ideas ahead of time so I can refer to it when I do get to that point.:cooldude:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
There are plenty of lifts availible for your truck. They are a little more expensive than straight axle models and also a little more involved, because of the TTB axle. It's nothing you should be afraid to tackle though. Just follow the directions with the kit and make sure to tighten everything properly and ocassionaly re tighten. A 6 inch suspension lift with 35's or 36's would be a nice start.

Cool, thankyou Tony. I'll check into it!

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
No problem. If you run into any questions feel free to yell. I live in the land of lifted trucks. (southwest Florida)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You can feather the brakes and sort of lock the rear axle on fords. It does not always work, but in a muddy spot, I have done it before.

In Mom's old 2wd Explorer, I used to set the parking brake just to drag slightly when I needed 2 spinning tires on ice.

Ford Truck Articles