Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Can't find reliable GCVWR

I'm trying to find a reliable source , or from an owner's manual for a 1994 f350 cab and chassis. What I'm looking for is the GCVWR. Only the GAWR and GVWR are displayed on the vehicle data plate on the door pillar and there is no owners manual with the truck. I'm needing the GCVWR for registration purposes to keep the law happy. The truck in question is a 1994 f350 cab and chassis rollback deck truck 4x4 with a power stroke and 5 speed manual trans, I'm going out right now to confirm axle ratio. The gvwr is 4989kg or 11000lbs. Thanks in advance.

Edit. Axle code f5: limited slip and 4.10-1

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
body company usually boxes the frame, and adds leaves to make the final weight for the finished truck
What body is on it?

The weight of the truck can't exceed 11000lbs. That's what is law and on the door pillar,but I need to know the gcvwr for pulling a trailer with this truck, it should be close to 18-20k lbs but I need to know for sure

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Wish I could recall my 97....but I'm thinking that your 18-20k is close.

Fellro

Staff member
Being powerstroke, I have seen between 17 for a manual and 20 for an auto. Doesn't make any sense to me why the manuals are so much less.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Being powerstroke, I have seen between 17 for a manual and 20 for an auto. Doesn't make any sense to me why the manuals are so much less.

Sure it does- manufacturers have been posting lower GCVWR's for decades. Simple reason- an Automatic is virtually idiotproof, a manual under load takes a certain level of skill to handle without mechanical damage. And since warranties don't/can't come with a driver skill requirement... (you see where this is going, right?)...

In the case of a Cab-Chassis, they leave the factory with an "incomplete vehicle" certification. The body installer does the final paperwork.

Right , when body is installed the appropriate door pillar placard is placed, same with changing gvwr by changing axles, vehicle has to be recertified and new or modified placard placed on truck with the new limits. We are recertifying a heavier truck right now , going with a 10000lb axle from an 8000lb front. This still doesn't change gcvwr, that's what I need to know, because I might need to downsize my trailer. My trailer has a 14000lb gvwr , and combined with the 11000 on the truck that's 25000lb, so I need to find the gcvwr to size up the appropriate trailer

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
The GVWR should be 10,000lbs. from the factory. It is capable of towing a max trailer weight of 14,000 lbs. and a max over all weight GCWR of 20,000 lbs. The GCVWR does not necessarily reflect the GVW of the truck + the max trailer rating.

Right but I can't exceed my gcvwr with a trailer max rating, even if it is empty, the gvwr on this truck is 11000lbs, but I meet to find out is exactly the gcvwr, so that my max trailer weight doesn't exceed the gcvwr of the truck. I cannot pull my gvwr 14000lb flat trailer empty with this truck because it exceeds the max allowable gcvwr, even if the truck and trailer is empty.

Ford Truck Articles