Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

73-79 Ford Power window template

Hey there everyone. I'm new to the site, well as a member goes. I've been lerking around the corners at the forums for years off and on, as needed. I have a 79 F350 crewcab that I've been working on for the past 2 years to get it kind of how I'd like it. It started out as a 79 F350 with a utility bed, 460/C6/2wd/dana 70/longbed. Since the time I purchased and drove it here and there (not my daily driver), I purchased a 4wd supercab frame and had it professionally streched to accomodate the 4 door cab and a longbed. Added a 6" lift and 3" body lift. Dropped a 1st gen Cummins/NV4500/np241 in it. Kingpin Dana 60 front/Dana 80 rear axle. Dashboard was pulled from the 93 donor truck and finessed into the cab with the wiring harness, so everything would plug n play. I think I can finally say I am almost getting to the point of being done with my build. I had just come to the point of getting my new weather stripping shipped to me and installing the doors, etc. and I have always wanted power windows and locks in my truck. I didn't like the options that were out there. They were limited to either a $300+ kit for new electric regulators where I don't know where I get parts for when it breaks, or a chesey kit that goes over the stock window crank. So, I am sharing my template that I created with those who are interested. The basics of this template are that it relocates the mounting holes so you can use the creaseside window regulators/motors. I have had a company, run a lot of them with a CNC to ensure the accuracy of them, with others available if I run out. If you're interested in the template, check out my listing on Ebay with keywords "ford power window template". It was a huge pet pieve of not having power windows(my arm could never reach the pass side door crank when I wanted the window down!!) and what companys wanted to charge for them. I'm happy to share my idea with everyone here.

Now, back to my build, I'll try and get some pics up but I've had problems since I normally use my cell to surf. I know pics tell more that can be explained!!!

:wavey:

I'm happy to sell my idea with everyone here.

Fixed it for you.

First post and your here to sell your " template". I'd wing it before I spent 25 bucks on a template.

I didn't mean for it to come off that way. I've been to this website plenty of times but never registered to post. I thought it was an idea that the members here could use instead of making swiss cheese out of their doors. Its also a lot cheaper than buying the kits and parts are readily available.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Post up some pics when you can smilieFordlogo

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
and for the truck build pics. Here's the truck that got me in this mess. I saw it, and have to have one just like it. So, I started gathering all nessesary parts, then decided to pull the trigger one night and go for it.

Attachments

• 1979_f-350_%5B1%5D%20%28Small%29.JPG
  • 1979_f-350_%5B3%5D%20%28Small%29.JPG
  • 98%20Cummins%201b%20%28Small%29.JPG
  • 1979_f-350_%5B2%5D%20%28Small%29.JPG
  • 98%20Cummins%20%201a%20%28Small%29.JPG
as far as my build here's the beginning of what I started with... as all projects go they are more than what you would know until it's too late to turn back and you have to just go for it until you see the light at the end of the tunnel. After doing sone research, and finding a complete 79 F250 with a kingpin axle for $300, I decided it was time to proceed with my 4wd truck I desirered. I had heard of people having found "barn finds" but I had never expected to find one myself. The 79 with the front dana 60 had listed it on craigslist here and said "its just time for her to go". I got the directions to his place and upon arival I saw it sitting on cinder blocks without wheels/rims or tires. The cinder blocks were sunk into the dirt and only the top 2 inches of the block was showing. I began to walk around her and noticed the bed had a plastic bedlinner and probably a big rust hole in the middle of it. I looked at the underside and I was right. A 2ftx2ft hole smack dab in the middle of the bed. The bed otherwise in decent shape, body was straight for the most part. The hood was wide open with a 400M sitting inside without a carb on it. rain water would surly fall right down when it rained and trashed the motor. I proceeded to look down, thinking is this worth $300, and right then I saw an approx 4inch hub sitting there, glaring me in the face. Boy I couldn't get that $300 out of my pocket quick enough and hand it to the guy selling it. When my buddy and I were loading it up on the trailer, the seller said "glad you didn't talk me down, but I would've took less. just been an old project I was going to fix up".

Since the day I bought my crewcab I keep getting in deeper....

More later...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
As far as the template goes, it will work with the broncos and rangers from 73-79. But the smaller bronco 2 and following ranger trucks that came out a few years later (economy trucks) it wouldn't work. Those "trucks" started production in 82 or 83 until 2011, so the door regulators are different. I am working on a u-tube video for all who are interested.

As far as the template goes, it will work with the broncos and rangers from 73-79. But the smaller bronco 2 and following ranger trucks that came out a few years later (economy trucks) it wouldn't work. Those "trucks" started production in 82 or 83 until 2011, so the door regulators are different. I am working on a u-tube video for all who are interested.

. So again is it the 80 to 90 F-series truck power regulators that will work. I have to know for sure what will fit, not just a guess before i will buy the template. I would be doing it in a 73 f-100.

There are 2 types of doors for our dent sides. One of them has 1/2" bolt holes with bolts holding the manual regulators in place. Later years ford went to a 1/4" rivit system to hold the regulators to the door skin.

As far as the crease side power window regulators. Any of the single arm power regulators from 80-96 F-series trucks or full size Broncos will work. The earlier years 80-90 they used a round motor. From 90-96 they used a flatter style of motor. The regulator itself did not change during that time period from 80-96.

The template is set up for the 1/4 riveted doors. This is cut cost in production. To use it with the doors that have the 1/2" holes, the template needs to have 2 holes drilled to 1/2" which is fairly simple since a "centering hole" has already been machined. Instructions on doing this are included.

I recorded a u-tube video earlier today and it is in the process of uploading. It should be available tonight.

Ford Truck Articles