Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ranger is missing

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My '97 Ranger (2.3, 5-gear, 232.7k miles) has been acting up slightly for a while now. Just a slight miss, every once in a while. It's done it maybe 4 or 5 times now in the last 8-10 months, every time until the last one in steady to heavy rain. Saturday night was the only time it's done it in the dry.

Seems to happen somewhere around 40 mph, and I think I've always been in fourth gear (though I don't know if that's just chance), and it will miss maybe 5-8 times, then it's OK. Often when accelerating up from a slower speed or stop, or shortly after (within maybe 1/2 a mile).

Plugs and wires are 1.5 years old; Autolite plugs and Napa wires. No signs of cracking on the wires or the coil packs.

Maybe it's not logical, but I'm wondering about the fuel pump. (I had the fuel pump fail 2000 miles into a solo road trip in a borrowed car, on I-70 in Denver, at 5:30 pm on a weekday, in 100* weather...) I've also got intermittently poor throttle response off idle, (e.g. when I put my foot back on the gas after upshifting), which improved but did not disappear after cleaning the MAF.

Is a fuel pump reasonable enough that I should pay someone to check the fuel pressure? Buy a gauge? Or should I just replace the plugs and wires and then move on to coil packs?

Thanks!

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Has it thrown a CEL? Even if it hasn't, I would get it scanned for codes. Plugs and wires are a good place to start. The hesitation coming off idle could be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).

Good luck!!!!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
No CEL. I'll have to look around for a place that will scan codes free, AutoZone hasn't made it this far north.

I checked the TPS with an ohm-meter, and it seemed OK- smooth increase (or decrease? I can't remember) as I opened the throttle. Checking the voltage as it was running was beyond me, though- I couldn't figure out how to hook my voltmeter up to it without disconnecting everything.

Thanks!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Because its more prevalent in the wet weather, I would start with plugs and wires. Get a spray bottle full of water, adjust it to spray a mist, then while the motor is running, spray water on the plug wires (particularly on the boots). There shouldn't be any spark jumping fire. When replacing wires, always put a dab of dielectric compound inside the boot before installing on the plug.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I did grease the wires when I installed them. I'll get a spray bottle and try that, I guess, once it stops raining...

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
The easier way is to just run your tongue along the wires. If it has a bad spot, you'll KNOW in a hurry. ROFLMAO!!

Please note, JOKE, don't really try that!!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Don't worry- even if I was dumb enough to want to try it, even getting your hands near the plugs on a 4-banger Ranger is damn near impossible...

That spray bottle trick is a good one. Try it at night and if you have a short....its a real pretty light show! YelloThumbUp

I don't know that this is relevant to your situation, but....

I had to remove my throttle body and clean the back side really well about once a year on my old ranger (89 2.9) once it got to pretty high miles. It would get to running rough, idle bad, and miss (or I thought it was missing) and the gas mileage would go way down. That always cured it for another year or so.

My brother does it about once every six months or so now.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Hmmm.....

Throttle body issues could explain the missing, and funny throttle response. Is there a gasket that needs to be replaced when the TB comes off?

(Gas mileage IS down, but it coincided with putting a cap that's a few inches higher than the cab on, and the switch from summer to winter gas last fall, so I don't think it's representative of a problem.)

Ford Truck Articles