Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

swaping

I have come up with another brain storm (ask the wife these happen quite often) im my 1984 F-250 4x4 with a 7.5L hot fuel i want to swap over to a 6.9 what do i have to do what do i need to run what parts do i need from the donor truck after i get the swap done im going to start the set up to run vegy oil any help PLEASEsmilieFordlogo

Fellro

Staff member
It isn't a big deal, but the trans will also have to be swapped, as the bells are not quite the same. You would need the motor plates that bolt on top of the frame cross, and take the towers off that the 460 rests on now. You would need to add a battery tray, since the 6.9 needs two batteries. The glow plugs can be manually controlled, if you want to go automatic, you would be best served by upgrading to the 7.3 IDI glow plug controller. If you can find a turbo at the same time, it would do well to add that at that time. If you have a C6, all you need is a diesel C6, if it is a 4 speed manual, I'm not certain if the T19 is common to the 460 or not, but then you could maybe get by on just a bell housing swap.

the donor truck is a 2wd and mine is a 4x4 auto what about the fuel system 2 eletric pumps in the tanks the oil shutdown for the hot fuel has been bypassed do i need the air to air if i could get a list of everything i can steal from the donor truck and best to get from other truckssmiliepeelout

Fellro

Staff member
the donor truck is a 2wd and mine is a 4x4 auto what about the fuel system 2 eletric pumps in the tanks
You have the choice of transferring the tank(s) from the donor, or putting a regulator on the fuel line and do away with the mechanical pump on the motor.
the oil shutdown for the hot fuel has been bypassed
not sure what you mean, if you don't have a return to the tank or somewhere, it will make the IP not work right, if at all.
do i need the air to air if i could get a list of everything i can steal from the donor truck and best to get from other
not sure what you mean by air to air....Most accessories from the donor, much of the wiring harness, mounts, radiator/support (the diesel support is deeper)
Don't worry about the junk water separator, you will either need to change your filter more often, install and aftermarket/different unit, or upgrade to an 87 and newer filter/water separator combo.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts