Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

FPM?

Hi all:

What and where is the fuel pump monitor, on a 1988 Ford 150 5.0L. Is this what shuts the pumps off during the KOEO test. How does this fuel system know when it has pressurized..........a pressure switch perhaps? If so, where is that. I suspect the FPM to be a on-board component of the EEC.

The EEC-IV in this truck is a:EEC-IV EFI SD20b 32K PROM
E8TF-12A650-F2A 8PU
6EC2830F04 7447 - 109 7J01

The vehicle has a Overdrive Auto Trans.

If some one could check out the EEC info, I'd like to make sure the correct EEC-IV unit is installed and has not been changed out by someone else who may have put the incorrect one back in.

Thanks

Lariat150

Welcome to FTF man. I have an '89 F150 Lariat. They are good trucks. Unfortunately, I dont know enough to answer your question, but there are many certified Ford techs on here that will know. :)

:wavey:

Last edited:

FTF'er
Fuel pump monitor is the term used to descibe a circuit. It is connected from the fuel pump wiring to the EEC. It tells the computer if the fuel pump has voltage or not. There is nothing to tell if the fuel pump is actually on or how much pressure it has.

What and where is the fuel pump monitor, on a 1988 Ford 150 5.0L.
The Fuel Monitor is Pin # 8 of the EEC Computer. The Computer can tell if the Fuel Pump Relay closed when it told it to by testing this wire. It tells it to by grounding pin # 22. It can also tell if there is a problem with the pumps by the voltage level of this wire.
Is this what shuts the pumps off during the KOEO test.
No that is done by a one second timer in the EEC Computer. When the key is turned on it grounds pin # 22 and looks for the PIP pulse train and if does not see it in one second it removes the ground from the coil of the fuel pump relay. Any time the EEC Computer does not see a PIP pulse train for one second it turns off the ground to the fuel pump relay after the engine is running or cranking.
How does this fuel system know when it has pressurized..........a pressure switch perhaps?
No it just runs the pumps for one second and if the check valve in the high pressure pump on the frame is a good one that should be more than enough time to bring the pressure up to 40 or higher PSI.
If so, where is that. I suspect the FPM to be a on-board component of the EEC.
No component just a wire.

Ford Truck Articles