Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

It's spring, is anyone doing anything?

I got one of my trucks out of winter storage, the panel truck.

Today I started working on chasing the overheating problems with the flattie, again. Today I swapped in another radiator from my stash, the the last one so I hope it works. I did find one leak in it but plugged it with some epoxy.

I also retorqued the heads, the passenger side had a lot of loose bolts, about 10 ft/lbs low. I was told this could cause overheating.

I also installed an aftermarket temp gauge to see if the stock one is working correctly.

It's just beginning. Once I get the overheating problem solved I am going to swap in the 9" I got last winter.

What are you up to?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
sounds like youve got some things to do. haha

for me my spring stuff is to get my sailboat uncovered after 2 years being under the tarps. and im doing a whole bunch of fishing now! actually im going fishing tomorrow. ive got to get the monte carlo fixed soon so i can get rid of it. and the truck is getting more tweaks to it. ive got a lot of little stuff planned for the next few months and hopefully i will get them done!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I'll be looking at MY 442. I have to get a storage closer to my house. And there is no room in garage.

Just checked all the levels in the 56. Started her up and all that. Hoping to drive her to work tomorrow. Depends on the weather. Keeps storming here.

I ordered some parts from mid-fifty for the truck. I need to order supplies from autobodytoolmart. Can't buy everything at once. :(

I drew up (in 3D) the plans for the carport last week. Dad is supposed to cut the pipe for me. When he does..I will weld it up and have a place to work.

Drove the 56 approximately 130 miles today. Starts and runs just like new.

I received a small order from mid-fifty today too. I have not even opened the box yet. Hope everything I ordered is in there. Next order will be body working supplies and some single stage paint for the wheels. Then tires...then body work and paint. Yeah...right!

I pulled the gauge cluster out and sent it to a company on West Virgina for restoration. Speedo was frozen and the other gauges could use TLC while they're at it.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Heeyyyyyyy it's Nathan! Welcome to FTF - it just keeps getting better. I think you'll like it.

I've been dragging my rigs around the pasture trying to decide where to start. Weather is supposed to get warm here the end of the week. I may actually get going on the 48 F6. Complete tear down, using the 52 F6 as a support vehicle. It's almost too nice to part out..........

Hey guys.

Well since my first post I got the overheating problem (which wasn't a problem, just a bad sending unit) under control. Now I have to get the fuel gauge working, which I haven't had a chance to seriously look into yet.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I didn't pay attention over yonder about your gauge problem, but I've found that the stock gauges only work with senders made for them. First one I had wouldn't work. Finally bought one designed to work with stock gauges and bingo. Calibration is still goofy but at least it moves sorta like it should.

I don't recall if I got it at Sac Vintage - probably - but it fixed the problem. I'm also running on 12V but gauges are reduced so they're only seeing 6V anyway.

I haven't had a chance to play with the gauge/sending unit much yet. I was able to do a potential test on the "new" unit. I got 10 ohms when empty and 74 ohms when full. I dug out a stock unit yesterday and go just about 0 when empty and 94 to 160 when full. I think the stock unit might be screwed up to get the weird full reading. I'll try to play around with it tonight and see what I get. I would like to use the "new" unit because it fits the replacement tank, I don't think the stock Ford unit will fit. I really like to have a working gauge, it makes driving the truck a less stressfull knowing how much gas I have:eek:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I hear ya, I drove the F1 for about 4 years without the gauge working. Every startup I did the mental calculation - uh, lets see, how far have I driven since the last fill-up? Sorta takes the fun out of driving these but sure adds to the suspense. Every trip is a white knuckle ordeal.

Carry a can in the back, but these days you'd probably have to padlock it!

Carry a can in the back, but these days you'd probably have to padlock it!

Hey Tim, I have a simple stock panel truck, it's not an amored car! I would almost feel safer hauling a few gold igots in the back than a couple of gallons of gas:guns:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
But you've got the advantage of "out of sight/out of mind" with the panel. It's all out there in plain sight with a pu!

Things are going slow around here. The plan was to start the body work and paint. That did not happen. I can only work for short periods of time.

Tuesday I managed to install a new solenoid, new mirror brackets, and a hub cap on my spare. Wednesday I slept all day.

Today we (dad and I) drilled the holes in the frame to mount a vacuum reservoir (for my power brakes). It is all under the cab and hidden unless you crawl under it. We also installed the step plates on my running boards.

Tomorrow I will try to get some fittings and hoses so I can hook everything up properly.

Then shocks and some other little stuff...then major cleaning. :(

blacksnapon

Staff member
Things are going slow around here. The plan was to start the body work and paint. That did not happen. I can only work for short periods of time.

Tuesday I managed to install a new solenoid, new mirror brackets, and a hub cap on my spare. Wednesday I slept all day.

Today we (dad and I) drilled the holes in the frame to mount a vacuum reservoir (for my power brakes). It is all under the cab and hidden unless you crawl under it. We also installed the step plates on my running boards.

Tomorrow I will try to get some fittings and hoses so I can hook everything up properly.

Then shocks and some other little stuff...then major cleaning. :(
Its really cool to work with your father on a project like that. I built an old van years ago, and had dad help. He was like a kid in a candy store! Kudos to you for doing that!

Its really cool to work with your father on a project like that. I built an old van years ago, and had dad help. He was like a kid in a candy store! Kudos to you for doing that!

Well...that is not exactly what is happening. The last time he touched it was last year about this time.

I am just too weak to operate the drill and drill through the frame or move/use the big floor jack. :(

I can't even shut the hood by myself right now. :headbang:

Plus...his hours were cut back to 45 this week. Normally they are 50-60+ a week.

I am actually doing most of the work. I wish I could get him or my brother interested in it. That would help immensely.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Well...that is not exactly what is happening. The last time he touched it was last year about this time..........
.......I am actually doing most of the work. I wish I could get him or my brother interested in it. That would help immensely.

That sounds familiar Brian. When I was doing the rebuild on my 48 I had hopes my dad would find it interesting and jump in when he was here to visit. I had grown up on stories from his highschool days about him and his brother wrenching on flatheads and the trouble they got into. So I figured the flathead would be a draw.

Didn't turn out that way. He barely showed any interest, took a couple of pictures of me working on it and wandered off to look at something else....

Turns out his involvement with flatheads was limited to dragracing on back roads and burning rubber. The past isn't always what it's remembered to be, ya know?

I love him as much as ever, but my perspective has been overhauled. You'll get your rig done. Your strength will return in time - didn't you have major surgery recently or did you forget? j/k Recuperation always takes longer than we want - which is probably a sign of healing!

.....didn't you have major surgery recently or did you forget?.....

Darn..I knew I forgot something! 'smiliedoh' :redface:

I agree. Dad was a mechanic here in AR and out in CA before I came along. He started rebuilding automatic transmissions when he was 16.

I guess he just got burned out on working on vehicles. He has the knowledge. I just can't get him interested.

In the 2 1/2 years I have owned it, he has driven it 2 times (once was just a few miles). Mom has never driven it. Her dad had a sawmill and she learned to drive on the old log trucks. Therefore, she dislikes my old truck. [confused] :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am taking it very slow. I managed to get the vacuum reservoir mounted and all the vacuum lines hooked up to the vacuum wipers and brake booster. While I was under there, I installed the new front shocks.

Once someone gets it off the blocks (I can't do it yet-floor jack is to heavy), I can drive it wherever I want.

I want to do the rear shocks though. We will see.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles