Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

spinning in the snow

rambler

New Shoes......
we got a 2000 f250 crewcab superduty, it just doesnt seem to do like it should in this snow and ice, we are in 4HI, and still we have been stuck in some snow. ( it is deep, but not real deep) I understand ice, but what I dont see is the front wheels engaging, we back up when we are stuck to try and hit it again, but the rear wheels spin and the front doesnt seem to. do I need to manually engage the hubs? they are auto and set up right, you can tell it is in 4HI, as it engages, but just not impressed with the performance, we had to be pulled out by a tractor the other day because we couldn't move forward in the road, the drifts were high, but for such a big truck we should have gotten through.. its got standard height and wheels, and good thread...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
If you have the option, it would be a good choice...
Might be one of the vaccum actuators is frozen and not engaging the hubs or only one hub then all the power is goin to the un locked tire...

Manual locking hub. I recommend Warn Premiums.

The other thing you can try is lockers. On one truck I have Lockrights front and rear. Stock size tires still. It's awesome. Put power to all 4 tires all the time when you're in 4x4 mode. Cost me about $1100 to have them installed in both axles, that includes the cost of the lockers.

In my other truck I'm going with Detroits. The truck is a F-250 with a 460, so I went with the Detroits since they're "bomb proof".

I'd look at putting one locker in the rear axle first. See how you like it. If you need more then lock the front.

The thing about lockers is once I finally do get the truck stuck it means a trip to the Cat Rental Store for something big, heavy, and tracked to get it out with.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
we got a 2000 f250 crewcab superduty, it just doesnt seem to do like it should in this snow and ice, we are in 4HI, and still we have been stuck in some snow. ( it is deep, but not real deep) I understand ice, but what I dont see is the front wheels engaging,
I'm assuming you know that even in 4-hi, only one front wheel will spin, right?

do I need to manually engage the hubs?
Does that have those goofy auto hubs you could manually engage, too? I've never owned, operated, or understood them...but if manual engagement is an option, I'd give it a try.

Manual locking hub. I recommend Warn Premiums.

The other thing you can try is lockers. On one truck I have Lockrights front and rear. Stock size tires still. It's awesome. Put power to all 4 tires all the time when you're in 4x4 mode. Cost me about $1100 to have them installed in both axles, that includes the cost of the lockers.

In my other truck I'm going with Detroits. The truck is a F-250 with a 460, so I went with the Detroits since they're "bomb proof".

I'd look at putting one locker in the rear axle first. See how you like it. If you need more then lock the front.

The thing about lockers is once I finally do get the truck stuck it means a trip to the Cat Rental Store for something big, heavy, and tracked to get it out with.
These Superduty trucks when equipped with automatic hubs have manual override, plus lockers in the front will hurt handling from what I understand. This truck is probably already equipped with limited slip in the rear, which is not as good as a locker but is pretty good for normal use.

A locker in the front isn't really noticeable when the hubs are unlocked.

Locked hubs and in 4x4 the truck wants to go straight, and only straight. You have to learn how to drive all over again.

Of course if it's so bad that you need 2 locked axles to get through it you're not driving at high speed anyway. If I pull the lever on my locked truck it's nasty stuff and I'm only doing 15 or less.

There are also selectable lockers like ARB and OX. You can put it in open 4x4, or lock 1 or both of the axles. Those are the best, but they're expensive.

Spools are the cheapest, but the handling problems they cause don't make them worth installing on a street vehicle.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
When it gets below freezing temps the vacuum operation of the hubs of my SuperDuty don't want to function either. I just lock the hubs in and select the front axle from the cab. Once the weather warms up or clears up (about July up here, haha) I unlock them.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
What would it take to install a locker in the front axle????

A fair amount more work than a rear axle. The steering knuckles need to be removed to allow removal of the axle shafts. Hubs and wheel bearings have to go as well for access.

EDIT : It may be possible to remove the front spindles and get the axle shafts out, not sure on the Sdutys.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
We had a similar problem with our 99 f-350 and it turned out that both the hubs needed to be replaced. About 400 bucks if I remember right. Itd probly be cheaper to go buy Warn premiums.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
We had a similar problem with our 99 f-350 and it turned out that both the hubs needed to be replaced. About 400 bucks if I remember right. Itd probly be cheaper to go buy Warn premiums.

Long time no see Dan!:)

Anyway, I think that this would be a vacuum problem and new hubs wouldn't do anything to fix the problem. Unless of course you went with the whole Dynatrac set-up up front.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Good to see ya too Lee! From what I remember it did have somethin to do with vacuum like they were siezed up or somethin but its been so long since that happened I cant remember.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yep the actuators go bad also . Jack up front unlock hub spin tire relock hub see if the axle turns. Both sides. Will tell if hubs r bad .

Put in 4x4 and try to spin have someone see if drive shaft spins.

If both above seems to be fine its the actuator . I have put 3 manual cable type setups on these truck already.

Check line to it heat with hair drier to see if it will move to 4x4 for you .

Let us know

rambler

New Shoes......
thanks for the input guys! I'm going to set it for manual on the hubs for the winter and see if it is better, we got stuck again in the snow. I am pretty sure it is not limited slip, as only one wheel spins in the rear as well. I was told to keep it out of 4LO in snow as you need to move faster to get out. I didn't know about only one front wheel spinning, but I dont see any spinning, when we back out of the garage, then it seems to engage a little once we start moving forward...

I need to either find a good friend with a lift and heated garage to check it out, as it is -2 this morning and wont get much warmer....

can you run on the highway with the hubs locked on? and in 2 wheel drive? will that place more wear and tear on the drivetrain? we have a 5 mile drive on gravel, then some backroads, but then we drive 40+ miles on highway to the hospital daily to see my FIL, who is in ICU. been there for 3 weeks, been taking the truck at 10 MPG every day due to weather, but would not want to wear out the front drive if necessary.

thanks again, kinda embarrsing to get this large F250 crew cab stuck in the snow...

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I do . Because roads here can change every 100 ft I leave them in . MPG suffers some. As for wear more than not in but not issue .

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
can you run on the highway with the hubs locked on? and in 2 wheel drive? will that place more wear and tear on the drivetrain? we have a 5 mile drive on gravel, then some backroads, but then we drive 40+ miles on highway to the hospital daily to see my FIL, who is in ICU. been there for 3 weeks, been taking the truck at 10 MPG every day due to weather, but would not want to wear out the front drive if necessary.

thanks again, kinda embarrsing to get this large F250 crew cab stuck in the snow...

Without a doubt you can run down the highway with the hubs locked in and in 2wd high, and it won't hurt anything other than mileage. I do it every winter, if anything it's good to get everything in the front end turning once in a while.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Theres nothing like MANUAL everything.

Agreed 100%, if I could afford to buy a new SDuty at the time I bought mine it would have had a t-case with a lever instead of a dial.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I do . Because roads here can change every 100 ft I leave them in . MPG suffers some. As for wear more than not in but not issue .
I agree too. I'm just down in the Lake of the Ozarks and I always lock mine in and let it run. I drive to KC and back with them locked in the winter. No issues at all.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
If you think about it, that's why Ford has those manual overrides on the hubs. They run those things in Alaska at much colder temps- and yes, when it get's 50 below, everything freezes up.

Ford Truck Articles