Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Looking at a 2001 Ranger 4x4, 4.0

Fellro

Staff member
Looking at picking up a 2001 Ranger, extended cab 4x4 with the 4.0 SOHC. Motor is cashed, pitched a rod. What should I expect to deal with on these? Got out of the industry by the time this one rolled off the line.

I should send you one of these for it Roger - these are good little engines that just go and go and go forever , 2.5 turbo diesel. they have a 3.5 ton towing limit on them here and sad to say they'll out tow my F150 up hill.

WLT_Courier_engine.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
Doing a bit of research I am thinking I should pass. $400 to get it, can get a motor for $300, then need to do the timing sets, $200-300, and all time I really don't have... By the time I drop that much cash on it, I almost can get one that is running and driving. Also has 212,000 on the clock...

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The three Aerostars we owned with 4.0 engines all died at about 200K miles, although one was a transmission problem.

Fellro

Staff member
This one is the overhead cam style, with the timing chain problems.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
SOHC 4.0 engines through 03 had tensioners and nylon timing chain guides that were vulnerable to failure. So bad that Ford extended the engine warranty on Explorers and fixed many many many under warranty. When they are failing, there is noise; continued driving = more noise and eventually takes out a timing chain. IMO, if you get a used engine just replace these parts with the latest and greatest from Ford......and when the engine is out.

Any other concerns outside of the engine?

Edit: A few minor things to address, should you proceed:

Ford uses a composite (plastic) thermostat "box" located on the front of that engine. It's a two piece part and is bonded together into one. Eventually, it seems that all of these develop a leak at that bonding line; it may be a slow loss of coolant and a little coolant smell, or it may piddle away a quart on a short drive. As such, on a used engine I'd suggest replacing this with a new Motorcraft unit, before the engine goes in. The radiator hose fitting (also composite) does not need replacement unless there is obvious damage.

Inspect the PCV vacuum line from the valve up to the front of the engine. It is a combo of a molded plastic tube and rubber elbows; the rubber elbow at the front of the engine, on occasion, develop a leak from heat/rot. The usual result is a CEL, someone pulls the codes, and they find P0171 and P0174 (lean bank 1 and bank 2).

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles