Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

running 292

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If it's all original with no rebuilds, I'd say about $750 to the right buyer. But you left alot of important info out...does it leak, smoke, burn, how many miles, etc. You could be sitting on nothing more than a rebuildable core on up to a $1500 engine. My guess is, you're probably sitting on something in the $300-500 range.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
If it's all original with no rebuilds, I'd say about $750 to the right buyer. But you left alot of important info out...does it leak, smoke, burn, how many miles, etc. You could be sitting on nothing more than a rebuildable core on up to a $1500 engine. My guess is, you're probably sitting on something in the $300-500 range.
$750.00 for a 292? That's a bit of a stretch, doncha think?

Unless the engine is freshly rebuilt, $200.00/300.00 would be about right.

You do know...of course, that there are TWO different 292's.

The light duty was used in F100/350's, while the heavy duty was used in F500 and larger trucks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...I thought it was a bit of a stretch, but...if the right t-birder needed a 292, I thought he might strike it rich. But then that was gonna lead me to my next question, so it's a good thing you showed up Bill...I was gonna ask if they did a light duty and 'industrial' engine. So you cleared that up.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Yeah...I thought it was a bit of a stretch, but...if the right t-birder needed a 292, I thought he might strike it rich. But then that was gonna lead me to my next question, so it's a good thing you showed up Bill...I was gonna ask if they did a light duty and 'industrial' engine. So you cleared that up.
Here in LA LA Land, you can buy a clackity clack 292 from pick-a-part for peanuts, as there's still a fair amount of these engines around.

IMO, an engine from a dump truck could have 100's of 1000's of miles on it, been worked to near death, could have been bored out and the crank turned to the max.

It's prolly been darn near neglected for the past 30 years.

I wouldn't buy it for one cent, even....if someone offered to deliver it to my door. If the engine turned out to be crap, I'd have to pay someone to haul it away.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Not all F500 and larger trucks w/292's came with Ram Horn manifolds, as they were an optional accessory.

If the truck had a 292 2V with P/S, or a 292 4V w/Air Brakes, it will have Ram Horn's.

Otherwise...Ram Horn's may be present, may not.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts