Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

convert 4speed to 5speed

i hope this is the right place to ask this question...i have a 1993 f-350 XL single cab with a 7.3 power stroke. it also has a 4 speed manual, and i want to convert it to a 5 speed manual trany... if so what do i have to do?.... plz help this is my welding rig its what put food on the table!!

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Unless it was a swap it only has te IDI.. Non turbo'd 7.3 diesel..

And to swap it to 5 speed in not 100% on what all is needed other than the trans.

The only 5 speed trans you can use is one that came from behind another 7.3 diesel..

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
7.3 IDI did come turbocharged in its last year and a half or so.

That truck should be a 5spd already, the 4spd was phased out late '80s/early 90's, so its been swapped at some point. Aside from the slave cylinder being questionable for the swap everything else should be compatable so long as the ZF comes from a 7.3...

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
93 could have come factory with the 4 speed.

If you can find a 5 speed out of a truck with a 7.3 you should be set. Seeing as you are a welder I would think you wouldn't have a problem moving a crossmember or doing a little fabrication if necessary... With that in mind it shouldn't be too hard... Maybe longer/shorter driveshaft? Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Fellro

Staff member
You need the trans as well as either the original dual mass flywheel or the aftermarket single mass conversion kit with the clutch disc and pressure plate. The 4 speed flywheel as it is doesn't work out too well, and the clutch disc is not the same spline size if I recall. Hydraulics should swap. Also as noted the driveshaft will either be swapped or modified. Cross member should be able to just be relocated without any fab.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts