Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Engine swap

power steeering

some people have had power steering pump mounting issues were the stock pump will hit the steering gear box, and some haven't. i had these issues. there are several ways around this. 1) you can get a sagnaw style power steering pump and brackets of a 460 van. 2) get the serpentine belt setup of a late model 460. 3) l and l makes a power steering bracket.

i went with a l and l bracket, reused the lower bracket that was mounted to the TRW pump. and get a pressure line off a 84 f250 with a 460. with a little tweaking the pressure line fits.

second on the l and l mounts. never used TEB stuff be i have been looking at the mid mount alt setup.
other little detail. the 460 fan spacer using a 3/4 inch bore not the 5/8 of the stock 400 fan. i had a friend with a latte open up the stock fan spacer to it the 3/4 water pump.

Attachments

• IMG_20150919_174855.jpg
  • IMG_20150919_174926.jpg
  • IMG_20151101_075806.jpg
Last edited:

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Buzz_s_460_upgrade_004.JPG

This pic shows Alternator relocation from the Econolines (Air cond vans)...Bottom mount type to the Top Mount for this swap...Again i used L&L (SORRY.Duncan..lol) Brackets made for this swap these brackets are in the Gold color you see in the pic.its a pretty staight forward and easy transfer without fabrication.the kit gives you all you need.

Last edited:
Bringing this back up. I'm looking at the prospect of putting a 460 in my '79 f-150 4x4 to replace the 400 that's in it and have a few questions:

1. Did Ford do anything different with the front suspension to accommodate the little bit heavier engine?
2. Is there anything I should worry about in the rest of the drivetrain if I'm not planning on building the 460 at this point? Truck has an automatic transmission and NP205 t-case. Don't plan on regular mudding or hard off-roading.
3. How much does the drivetrain need upgraded if the 460 gets moderately modified?

Donor truck would be a 78 or 79 that has been rolled, but I don't know if it is 2wd or 4wd. Hope I can get a look at it this weekend.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
1) No...it's only about 150lbs...less than if you have an average sized adult sitting in the cab.
2) No...you're only talking about 25hp/50tq power difference.
3) depends on your definition of 'moderately'

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Donor truck would be a 78 or 79 that has been rolled, but I don't know if it is 2wd or 4wd. Hope I can get a look at it this weekend.

IF the truck is original AND it has a 460, THEN the truck will be a 2WD. This generation of Ford truck did not put 460's in 4WD trucks.

1) No...it's only about 150lbs...less than if you have an average sized adult sitting in the cab.
2) No...you're only talking about 25hp/50tq power difference.
3) depends on your definition of 'moderately'

Gotcha. I saw a picture of a 460 sitting beside a small block and thought the difference might be more significant.
You're right on #3 haha. Headers, carb, intake, and maybe a cam. Definitely no porting, overboring, or stroker kits.

Didn't get to make it out and eye the donor truck. Got stuck working on getting the transmission and clutch out of an old '83 GMC S-15. If you ever get the chance to do that: DON'T!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You're right on #3 haha. Headers, carb, intake, and maybe a cam. Definitely no porting, overboring, or stroker kits.

You'll probably add a max of about 100-125hp with those bolt-ons, Stock, the engine produced roughly 200hp...so you're looking at about 300hp in total. Transmission and tcase can handle double that, axles should be more than capable. Driveshaft u joints should be able to handle it as well, but I generally like leaving cheaper parts as the weak point...much easier and cheaper to replace a u joint after doing something stupid than a ring gear or hole in the block or something.

Ford Truck Articles