Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

need a little help with dual-piston caliper brakes on a 1979 Ford F250 2 wheel drive

I had just come back from AutoZone buying a new or rebuilt power steering pump for my 1979 F-250 2 wheel drive super cab short bed. on the way home I started smelling what could only be described as burnt clutch well I have an automatic behind a 460 so I know it wasn't the transmission upon getting home I could still smell it and it appeared that it was coming from both Wheels on the front. I am just wondering if it could be the master cylinder as that has been replaced as well as the booster about a year ago I am going to check to see what the brake pads look like as I was first of all thinking it might be a hung up piston but it doesn't look at least from what I could tell that the rotors were not chewed up. I did feel a hard pedal for just a split-second on the freeway when I started smelling this. what do you guys think this might be?

Fellro

Staff member
First thing I would do is see if they are retaining pressure. Jack up the front and make sure the wheels turn relatively free. If so, hit the brake a few times hard and then check again. Some resistance at first is normal as there is nothing to make the calipers back off, the motion of the rotor does that. If you can not turn them at all, then you will need to loosen the bleeder to see if it is still under pressure. If yes, I would replace the brake hose. What happens is the hoses can break down internally and the lining starts to flake. The lining can act like a check valve, it lets pressure in but not out.

You would think that both sides would not go out at the same exact time though. Going to install new SS lines but, still thinking it may be something up the system for it to bilaterally act up simultaneously. Good call tho.

Fellro

Staff member
Rubber hoses are the suspect... You wouldn't think so, but if sitting for a long time, they can. I have seen them fail shortly after another, so it is also possible they were on the way and then you now have noticed them. The master isn't likely to continue to hold pressure on just the fronts.

Fronts have not acted up again, hearing what might be a grind, thinking it may be the center carrier bearing. When it rains, right?

Ford Truck Articles