Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Running Biodiesel?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I can only wonder how well they were filtering the WMO. To me, there is too much risk and cost involved to run bio.....I've been paying 1.50 a gallon for WMO blends.

Fellro

Staff member
They weren't filtering it enough, I think a single maybe double filtration, but it is risky to do so. I know he said they weren't doing it good enough to get the oil cleaned up enough, didn't want to spend the money, yet spend it on repairs instead. It runs a bit hotter as well, the newer electronic injectors may not respond well to that.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
That's a very good possibility as well. You're right, oil burns at roughly 162000 btu while diesel burns at roughly 134000. Filtering is definitely key. I am currently using water filters as my filtering media....2 micron 3 times filtered, but a centrifuge is the way to go if you get really serious about it.

Fellro

Staff member
Mine sucks enough oil without feeding it to it...lol

hey Fellro, with all those gelling issues have you or are you using any sort of additive? the one I use (can't recall the brand right now, comes in a white jug with red cap...) says it works with biodiesel.

Fellro

Staff member
Unfortunately, I am not the one that runs them most of the time. I ran PowerService in the tractor I run the snow blower on. Never had gelling trouble with it.... it was the other two that were not under my control. I also advised them to stop buying fuel from the station that was running the bio blend, at least in the winter. This winter hasn't been an issue, saw sub zero temps for about a week.

I can only wonder how well they were filtering the WMO. To me, there is too much risk and cost involved to run bio.....I've been paying 1.50 a gallon for WMO blends.

I've been wanting to try WMO since I heard about it, where do you acquire your supply? I see you are in Florida, not sure if Cali is down with WMO, lol.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
From friends and shops. There's guys in Cali that I know are running WMO and cutting it with Jet A. You can burn pretty much anything in an idi.....hydraulic oil, atf, WMO, gear oil (which stinks like hell). It's all about the filtering...most shops are more than willing to give it away, you'd be surprised how many actually get charged to have their oil removed.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts