Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Door handles for '78 F-150

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Can someone tell me if Ford made door handles with "FORD" printed across the handle in an inlay. My '78 Lariat truck has these, but I'm thinking they are aftermarket. If aftermarket, who manufactured them? The driver's door is getting hard to open. It has to be lifted all the way up, and then some to open the door.

Shamus

Defector Fidèle
I don't recall seeing any fancy door handles before.

The door is easily adjusted with a wrench and takes only minutes once you orientate yourself with the bolts.

I presume you are talking about the outside door handle? If so there were some manufacturers way back that used to make a whole bunch of different inserts, Bronco, Mustang, etc.

As far as getting hard to open I doubt it is in the handle. I would guess the door latch itself is getting worn out as there is not much to the handle to wear out. The rod from handle to latch could of also became weak and stretched out to.

Are you thinking of Ford in black letters with a silver background inside the handle ?

Those are an aftermarket sticker that have used myself on my truck.
I think they look pretty classy until they fade.
They did change the shape of them over the years.
It seems the newer ones don't fit the older trucks handles as well

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Striker plate/door out of alignment

The driver's door is getting hard to open. It has to be lifted all the way up, and then some to open the door.
If the door has to be lifted up, there are several possible reasons why:

1) The door is sagging due to age, and the hinges are prolly loose because of it.

Here's an old time mechanics trick for a quick fix:

Park the truck on a level hard surface like concrete...take a 2x4 about 5 feet long, put one end on the door sill about 3/4's of the way back, the other end on the ground.

Close the door till it just touches the 2x4, them gently push the door up the 2x4 about an inch or so. How does it work now? Repeat if necessary.

Now...tighten up the hinges...do NOT loosen or fiddle with the hinges before starting this procedure.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Look at your door striker plate...it has a plastic bushing on it...that wears down (and in some cases, falls off).

Now the door has to be lifted up to open it.

Before buying a new one...consider that most Ford cars from 1972 and later (except Mavericks) used the same one, so find one from a junker...the strikers are all the same, right/left, 2 or 4 door.

If you decide to buy a new one, here's the info:

D2AZ6522008A .. Striker / MSRP: $20.05 / fordtruckpartsguy.com price: $14.44.

FTF sponsor fordtruckguy (Ed Olson @ Parr Ford, Bremerton WA).

Ed's link is right here on FTF. BdayBigGrin

btw: White lithium grease is what you need to lube the door/hood latch, and many other working parts.

And...Get your self a small tube of graphite for use in the door lock cylinders, do not use the grease there.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles