Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I think my wiper blade motors went out

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Do I gain access to the motors through the wachamacallit directly beneath the windsheild? Never done this repair before...

I can still hear the control module for them clicking when I turn on the wipers, but they don't move. I'm just assuming that the motors are shot.

As a side note, any idea on price?

Ryan

it's a pain in the ass. at least it was on my 91. i only have the on-off/hi-lo motor. i think it was under $25. leaking is always a concern after that repair

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah you access the wiper motor through the cowl at the rear of the hood R. Good luck with that buddy, sounds like a pretty crappy job :(

It's a single motor, ryan, and is connected thru linkages. It is up under the cowl with the motor pointing into the engine compartment. If I remember correctly, the cowl drain unbolts fairly easily, and the wiper arms come off by depressing the small metal tab under their bases.
I'm not anywhere near my manual or I'd scan some pics for ya.

Youll have to remove the wiper arms. Then the bottom windshield trim ( I think ) then there are several phillip head screws on the edge where of the hood meets the cowl. Then 2 I think in the corners and lift it out. Thats all I know, I havent taken out the motor.

I think I smell another Ryan write up or how to article. YelloThumbUp Hopefully, he has purchased a real hammer by now. :headbang:

This is a pic of an 89 ranger: See the motor above and left of the brake booster?

2505193_5_full.jpg

Here is mine (vacuum).....again on the fire wall:

DSCF0737.jpg

When did they move them to under the cowl?

I never paid any attention to them when I owned the 88 F-150.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
the antenna stayed attached, actually. I didn't remove the hoses or cables. There was enough play in all the attachments that I could slide the cowl up the windshield to get it out of the way. I'll post a little photo write-up when I get the time to put it together.

Ryan

Hey Rattle how did you get that radio thing off the cowl?

Most antennas unscrew at the base (my explorer does). Just use a wrench and turn them. Then lift the little rectangular cover and there are usually two screws under there.

Once it it loose from the cowl, unplug the antennae wire and you are done.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Most antennas unscrew at the base (my explorer does). Just use a wrench and turn them. Then lift the little rectangular cover and there are usually two screws under there.

Once it it loose from the cowl, unplug the antennae wire and you are done.
The newer trucks with the whip antenna do, but prior to 1980 and back to 1967, the only way to remove the antenna is to remove the cover and take out the screws. 1966 and earlier have a nut just above the antenna base.

Do NOT pull the entire antenna out of the truck without doing this: Unplug the cable at the radio, tie a long string to it, then pull it out. When installing the new antenna, tie the string to the end of its cable and pull the end of the string remaining under the dash to feed the cable through the hole in the cowl. Otherwise, trying to feed the new cable through the miniscule hole in the cowl will be a major PITA!

They changed my cowl once but I didnt watch close enough to tell how the removed it from the cowl. They didnt pull the ant. wire Im sure.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts