Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Poor Man's Tilt Column Modification

Psquare75

Creamsicle Driver
A few months ago I bought a tilt column on ebay for a good price, to install in my F100 2wd. Come to find out (or more like, I forgot), I have a Hurst floor shifter on the floor, and removed the auto linkage up top long ago.

Reading more into this, I learned that it 'may' be possible to use a 69/70 Mustang tilt column (also $$) and piece one together. It'd look OEM, but the cost of parts makes it prohibitive. There are also aftermarket columns available, but again, cost makes them prohibitive.

Well.. This is what I came up with.

100_2198.jpg

No.. it's not a legitimate 'manual tilt'. It was an auto tilt. I cut the lever off on the bottom of the column, removed the "PRND21" indicator, shaved the mount for the shifter, and made a sleeve.

Turns out, a 'quart' can from Lowes, for paint, works very well for this with the ends cut off. You'll need to either disassemble the upper half of the column, or do what I did and simply remove and reweld the mounting bracket on the bottom.

If I had a band saw, the can would have had a perfect cut... my chop saw did flatten out the can in a spot or two.

total cost? zero.. I had the can. :lol:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Looks good. I like it when people aren't afraid to do a little fabrication to solve an issue. Well done!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts