Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

92 f-150

primetime

sawmill slave
So a week ago this past Saturday I was over at my buddies house. He is in the scrap business. He said he had just got in a 92 F-150, and I should take a look at it. So we wander back to his junk yard and I`m expecting a 4x2, Custom, 300, rotted out pos.

Oh, it`s got a 300, and a 5 speed. But it is a 4x4 that has been converted to straight axle with a 76 F-250 front axle, full floating sterling in the back, and a whole bunch of, I`m a fabikater, fawktard crap going on. It also had a rust free cab, which is a big deal in my neck of the woods, and in my eyes.

It was driven in, and because I don`t have enough projects, and I have truck ADD, and we are bros, I got it for 4 hundo. And yeah, he made at least a hundo on it. So how about some pics, and then some more story?

SANY0360.JPG

SANY0361.JPG

SANY0362.JPG

SANY0363.JPG

SANY0364.JPG

It was getting dark, as you can see, and then the camera died, otherwise there would be more pics of the awesomeness that was done to this thing. I gotta make some dinner, I`ll post more tomorrow.

Last edited:
That's a great deal ..... look forward to some more pics as progess happens.

primetime

sawmill slave
Holy crap. Where does the time go? How about an update? It ain`t much of one, but it`s something. I`ll at least show off some of the horse crap that is going on with this truck.

Why bother with bolts for the fuel tank straps when we have ratchet straps?

SANY0365.JPG

We were able to weld radius arm tabs to an F-250 axle, but we will just throw some spacers in here for driveshaft clearance.

SANY03631.JPG

SANY03621.JPG

Still got the TTB steering linkage on it.

SANY03601.JPG

There is more, but things have changed a little around here, and I`m a little slow at figureing it out. But hey, I worked on it this weekend! The t-case shifter was gone (big surprise there), and a truck finally came thru the junkyard that had one.

SANY03611.JPG

I swapped out the inverted y ttb steering linkage for the correct for a solid axle inverted t steering linkage. It was toed out about two inches.

Ok. So they used a 76, early 77 F-250 front axle for this. What that means is low pinion, disc brakes, and external lockouts. When they welded the radius arm tabs on, they tipped the pinion way up to help the driveshaft angle what with all the lift. Hence, no more castor.

They also used ttb lift coils, which are way stiffer than solid axle coils, and ttb radius arm drop brackets, which is fine, except they put them in the ttb position, and lopped a foot off of the straight axle radius arms. That took me a couple days of eyeballin to figure out, lol.

So between the stupid stiff ttb coils, and the two extra leaves in the rear springs, this thing rides worse than my blue truck. It`s bad. And with the front end being toed out, and the castor being wiped out, it`s scary to drive. And I haven`t had it over 10 mph.

It also had to short of a stub axle on the passenger side, which stripped the hub. Of course, that sides dial was welded in the lock position, lol.

So short term the plan is to buy a new stub shaft from Bronco Graveyard, slap another external hub on it, throw in some 70`s lift coils I have kickin around that should lower it two inches and help the ride, and some seven degree radius arm bushings to try and get the castor back somewhat.

It also needs a longer rear driveshaft, the track bar is to short, and it needs a fuel pump, and a water pump.

Long term, I have a 79 F-150 front axle housing that I`m going to build with Chevy 3/4 ton outers, and 4.88s. It has 4.10s now. That will get the castor back in spec, and hi pinion to help the front driveshaft.

But hey, it has a t-case shifter, and better steering linkage. Which turned out to be a bigger pita than it should have been, lol.

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Glad you finally got to get some work done. But it sounds like you've got a lot more to do... still can't believe ratchet straps for the fuel tank.

primetime

sawmill slave
I hear ya. It`s nuts. I know the dude that sold this to my buddy for scrap. He didn`t build it, but he traded a dirt bike that he payed a lot of money for, to get it. And he likes to think he knows what he`s doing. All he did was beat the everloving crap out of it. No surprise.

I also know who he had work on it after he got it, before it ended up at my buddies. Yeah. He thinks he`s a mechanic, got a "500 hp Cummins" painted like a Monster can to prove it. He wouldn`t know an honest real 350 hp if it ran him over. The fuel tank proves it. One strap still hanging from the crossmember, the other throwed in the back of the truck, and ratchet straps holding the tank in. WTF? You could`nt fish thru your junk and find some crappy bolts? But I digress.

Funny story. Shortly after I bought this, the fam came over. Mom, stepdad, sister, and her boyfriend. Sis says, "Hey bro, can I drive your monster truck?" Well sure. So I get it running (fuel pump not being all it can be, remember). She tools off across the yard, up the drive, turns onto the private road that leads to the rest of our property, and proceeds to floor board it, bang second gear, and go bombing down the road for a quarter mile. Turns around and does it all over, lmao. Of course we can hear this because it has only two little pipes coming off of the manifolds, and the the whole time I`m cringing, hoping she does`nt blow the rear driveshaft right off, because that`s WAY too short, lol.

Good times. And I love it. Because that`s what it`s all about. It does`nt have to make money, or take me to work unless I want it to, it`s just here to have fun, and go to Ohio. Or Kentucky. If I feel like it.

Ford Truck Articles