Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

MPG on Overhead Console wrong!

2004 F-250 6.0 diesel. Had not towed anything of weight in years. Overhead console MPG readout always stayed a little north of 16 mpg. Went on a 2 month 8K mile trip this summer pulling a 8K lb 5th wheel. Over the 2 months the readout dropped to 14.7 MPG. This did not quite jive with the odometer/fuel gauge. We have now been back almost 3 months with the 5th wheel parked. The console readout still says 14.7 MPG. Any feedback/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Friz

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm guessing because I'm not familiar with the Ford MPG calculations. On other manufacturers, the mpg calculation is cumulative, which will cause the newer numbers to be lower due to previous calculations. Is there a way to reset the mpg display to reflect more recent values?

I'm guessing because I'm not familiar with the Ford MPG calculations. On other manufacturers, the mpg calculation is cumulative, which will cause the newer numbers to be lower due to previous calculations. Is there a way to reset the mpg display to reflect more recent values?

That is what I was hoping to find out - reset.

Little bit of egg on face - 2 buttons on the console: MODE and E/M. Looking more closely at the 14.7 display I see it says 14.7 MPG. If I hold the EM button for a few seconds and release the display changes to 16 L/100 KM. So, my bad. Kind of ass backward. One measures how far you go on a certain volume (gallon). The other measures how much volume (liters) you use over a given distance. So I am not sure the thing has ever worked.

Later: Someone sent me a link to the "Owners Guide" (300 pages) which I did not have. There is a reset procedure. Will give it a try.

Thanks for your response, Friz

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
That is what I was hoping to find out - reset.

Little bit of egg on face - 2 buttons on the console: MODE and E/M. Looking more closely at the 14.7 display I see it says 14.7 MPG. If I hold the EM button for a few seconds and release the display changes to 16 L/100 KM. So, my bad. Kind of ass backward. One measures how far you go on a certain volume (gallon). The other measures how much volume (liters) you use over a given distance. So I am not sure the thing has ever worked.

Later: Someone sent me a link to the "Owners Guide" (300 pages) which I did not have. There is a reset procedure. Will give it a try.

Thanks for your response, Friz

One is in imperial, the other is metric conversion equivalent. Like switching between F and Celsius.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Single module used in a vehicle sold in countries that use different units of measurement. Keeps the vehicle cost down, a good thing for consumers.

Ford Truck Articles