Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Body Swap

I have just bought a 1990 F Super Duty chassis cab. It has the deisel and 5-speed that I would like to keep. The sole reason for buying it is to put my 76 SuperCab body on it. My question is with the IDI motor. If I understand corectly it is not computer controled. If that is true can I get sensors for the motor to make my 76 gauges read correctly? Also anyone know if the tranny uses the same type speedo cable?

I have not picked the 90 up yet and wont be able to till next week end. Thats why the I'm asking about the cable and not just going out and looking at it. Thanks for any help.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
That's a good question. I think the speedometer mechanism are totally different. In 1990, I think the speed sensor is gear driven in the manual transmission case. I wish somebody who had one would come along and help you.

Ryan

Me too I am tghinking about posting it in the Gen 8 section. Maybe some one there has one of these trucks. I think the oil pressure and water temp and fuel gauges should be easy to make them work. The speedo was the thing I was most concerned with. Thanks for the reply, I was begining to think no one read this section anymore lol

Fellro

Staff member
The motor is easy, it is about as simple as the old gassers for electrical. The gauges use the same type senders for the most part, at worst, you have to do a little shopping at the plumbing section to find conversion fittings, they are all pipe thread. You might even get lucky and have the same wiring ends to hook up the gauges, I know the oil pressure is a one wire, and I think the water is as well. Alternator likely is externally regulated as well. The 90's still had an actual speedo cable, so you should be able to get that to change over also. 92 had an all electric speedo cluster, while they were still cable driven before that.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts