Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

should i put a turbo on it?

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
im looking into getting a 1992 f350 xlt crewcab dually with the 7.3idi and i know the idi's dont have a turbo n i was wondering wether or not i should put one on it. ive heard people tell me to get one and others that tell me its better to leave it n/a. whats yalls opinion on the subject? and if i get one what brand should i go for, or should i just get one off a powerstroke? and also if i added the turbo what kind of power/mpg changes would i be looking at?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Its possible, but more expense than what its worth. Remember, you also need something to control its operation as well. I'm just concerned that it may be better to get a different vehicle.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
yes it will be better/cheaper to get another truck. just spring the extra dough and get a Powerstroke.

if im not mistaken on a IDI to put a turbo on you have to do a TON of fab work. and the Turbos for them are pretty expensive.

Its possible, but more expense than what its worth. Remember, you also need something to control its operation as well. I'm just concerned that it may be better to get a different vehicle.

Isn't that what the wastegate is for???

I'd do it, but then I think everything is better with boost...

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
My dads buddy added one onto his 7.3 IDI he picked it out of a junkyard off one that had a turbo. I was pretty little when he did it and cant remember exactly what he pulled off the truck.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
its not gonna be a work horse or nothin iv just been itchin to get a diesel for awhile, id prefer to have a 6.9 but i cant hardly find one worth the dough, im gonna go look at a gen 7 crewcab dually today n idk if its got a 460 or a 6.9 i hope its a 6.9. as far as a turbo goes on the idi's im not gonna do a load of fab work if it aint worth it, ill just leave it n/a

Fellro

Staff member
It isn't all that much fab work to put them on if you get the right one. There are many aftermarket and factory units out there intended for the IDI motors. Keep an eye on ebay if you really want to turbo it. Depends all what you are wanting it to do as to whether the turbo is all that necessary. The reason the powerstroke turbos won't work all that well is because the powerstroke has lower compression, as it is direct injection instead of indirect injection. IDI motors can't take the high boost that a p-stroke can. You want to find a turbo system intended for an IDI if you want to minimize cost and effort.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Banks pre sidewinder kits. banks sidewinder kits and ATS are the three turbo companies that I'm aware of that produce one for the 6.9 or 7.3 IDI's. There is almost no fab work. The full kits come with turbo, downpipe, y pipe (all in one thing) the intake hat and passenger side valve cover. It's really not that difficult to do but chances are you'd have to jack up the truck to drop the y-pipes down. They're not all THAT expensive but they can be. My buddy has a banks pre-sidewinder kit he may sell soon enough....he's gonna have the turbo rebuilt and throw it up for around 500 bucks. Any kit list for over 900 is money not well spent.

Ford Truck Articles