Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

IDI power expectations

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
What kind of numbers can be expected with the known mods on a 6.9???

N/A and Turbo BTW...

Fellro

Staff member
HP numbers tend to remain low due to the dependence on RPM's, but torque can definitely gain. Numbers, don't know, work, well, that I do. Mine won't necessarily win any races, but it will tow up a mountain with the semi's. May not pass them, but it won't be passed by many of them. Running my sister's horse trailer through the mountains of southern W VA, there were some 7 mile long 7% grade mountains. Slowest speed was about 35 a few times, second gear on the manual trans. I was pulling a 7000 pound trailer loaded with three horses and a crapload of windows and such in the living quarters. We figured our total weight to be about 21000. That was with the exhaust mod, and a bit of intake, but not out to the grille yet at that time, just behind the rad support. It now is all the way out to the grille, but the clutch failed shortly after I did that mod, so I haven't found how much difference it made yet, haven't had the time to change the clutch. Going to upgrade it to a 12' to hold up to the abuse I do to it...

Fellro

Staff member
Hard to say since it never even got close to the mountains. It has never really been much of a slouch, but it was more doggy before I tinkered with it.
That only happened in a couple spots, most of the time it was 3rd gear and 45 mph.

Ford Truck Articles